Hello Everyone

Had some extra time on my hands yesterday so i took a few hrs at the range to do some of my own Balistic comparison testing using 3 sets of wet soapy phone books submerged for 1hr measuring a total of 17inches per stack..And below i have posted some pics of the depth results and expansions...My velocities might not be accurate since my guns are not full length in size so you might wanna average a few hundred fps less than what is listed below..All tests were shot from a distance of 17ft...I will list from best to worst..From my tests the best expansion was the 50GI SCHP which measured 1.05" Shot from Glock21SF .50GI conversion 4.6" Barrel...2nd place 454 Casull Barnes X HP,expanded .65" ,Shot from Ruger Alaskan 2" Snub...3rd place 10mm Federal HydraShock expanded .63" Shot from Glock29 3.7" barrel.... 4th place The Gold Dot and Magtech .45 both expanded at .50" Shot from Glock21sf 4.6" Barrel... 5th place The Winchester SXT expanded at .48" Shot from Glock21SF 4.6" Barrel...and the Aguila had no Expansion when shot from Glock21SF 4.6" Barrel..The Aguila bullet is a fragmenting bullet that is suppose to fragment into 3 pieces when impacting soft tissue...In this case nothing happened so i gave it last place...As for penetration I have it listed below with the pics..The penetration results i tried to take exact measurements since it was hard to do this with a measuring tape using phone books..The Best penetration so far that i have seen from my guns is the .454casull penetrating at a whopping 15"......Hope you guys enjoy the pics and feel free to comment.

post-16872-12550059563191_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12550059325213_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12550059076858_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12550058892225_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12550058573922_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12550058300986_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12550060980731_thumb.jpg

Edited by voonman

What is the .50 GI like in terms of recoil? Since prices on kits are coming down, I have given serious thought to picking up a conversion. Also, do you reload your own ammo at all? It seems like it would be a requirement to do any real amount of shooting with the .50. The expansion on that bullet is really impressive. Is it a uniform alloy, or is there a lead core in there somewhere?

So far, the 10mm is my overall favorite handgun cartridge. I think there is a strong argument to be made for the Glock 20 being the best all-purpose handgun in the world, though an equally good argument can be made for the G29. Ballistics speak for themselves, and the fact that the 10mm, with .401 starting diameter, expanded to significantly larger than the .45 ACP loads which started at .451, speaks volumes. I would bet that the 180, 200 or 220 grain Doubletap loads would penetrate a lot better than the Federals did.

Edited by stiletto raggio

Hello

The 50GI feels almost identical to a .45+P in recoil...Currently i do not reload my own ammo due to the fact i dont have any reloading equipment nor alot of time during the weekdays..The .50GI ammo comes in 3 various forms..which are regular ball full metal jackets...Regular Jacketed Hollow points..And Solid Copper Hollow Points..The one i tested was the Solid Copper hollow point with no lead core...I also believe that the 10mm is one of the best all purpose cartridges that can be found on todays market...Reason being the power and performance..You can get them lightly loaded or magnum loaded for hunting..The 50gi is not a well known nor popular cartridge to the average shooter..alot of people complain of availabilty and price...For me that is not an issue..especially availability...I tell people the 50gi is not a replacement round to the .45 or 10mm but just another great option you can use for either medium game hunting or personal protection..Either way all the calibers will work great depending on how they are loaded....The Federal Hydra Shock in 10mm gave me quite a surprise in its expansion v.s the .45 ..It mushroomed out pretty nice compared to the .45 Gold Dots..Though the penetration was lacking a bit..I believe it would still knockdown the bad guy...The Doubletap 135gr Nosler JHP wasnt too bad either..even though there was only 6" of penetration,the cartridge wasnt designed for deep penetration according the manufacturer..It was stated by doubletap that the 135gr is to be used as a self defense round with very low penetration...I havent tried other Doubletap loads but the heavier the bullet plus more power will definately give better penetration.. Overall i am very pleased with the outcome and hopefully i can do more tests with other calibers when or if they ever come available to me.

What is the .50 GI like in terms of recoil? Since prices on kits are coming down, I have given serious thought to picking up a conversion. Also, do you reload your own ammo at all? It seems like it would be a requirement to do any real amount of shooting with the .50. The expansion on that bullet is really impressive. Is it a uniform alloy, or is there a lead core in there somewhere?

So far, the 10mm is my overall favorite handgun cartridge. I think there is a strong argument to be made for the Glock 20 being the best all-purpose handgun in the world, though an equally good argument can be made for the G29. Ballistics speak for themselves, and the fact that the 10mm, with .401 starting diameter, expanded to significantly larger than the .45 ACP loads which started at .451, speaks volumes. I would bet that the 180, 200 or 220 grain Doubletap loads would penetrate a lot better than the Federals did.

as far as self defense goes, all rounds appear to do the trick, but I'm most impressed with that 50GI round, the way it expanded, I'd imagine that would cause some crazy internal damage with rotation and reflection...penetration wouldn't mean a whole lot to me unless your talking about some big ol grizzly.....good write up :up:

I'll say it's interesting, but the ammo is all totally different from each other....... an apples to shoe horns comparison.

A .45 SCHP round could be made that would open up just like the 50GI SCHP round did.

The .45 ammo you used was not designed to do that. The same is true for the other calibers.

It looked like fun though. :)

True but because the .50 is a wider bullet in diameter the .45 will not expand as wide if you use the same exact bullet...Also the 454 casull which is the same exact size as a .45acp.. i shot it using a similar bullet type which is the Barnes X copper HP bullet and it expanded .65" at a depth of 15" which is still very impressive..as i said before this is just a comparison test not a better weapon nor bullet test...I let everyone be the judge for themselves.