Norinco AK trade questions

Morning everyone;

Question concerning a trade I'm considering - Would you trade a Springfield GI 1911 w/ accessories for a Norinco Sporter Ak47 (MAK-90 I believe, but I'm not too keen on what makes it a MAK-90 though)?

It looks exactly like this one w/ the thumbhole stock & all:

NorincoMak90-01.jpg

For My Springfield which i'm asking $600 (All orginal paperwork, 3 mags, Blackhawk holster, shoulder rig, 2 sets of grips)

PW9108L.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I would trade it. I had trouble selling my 1911 GI model for $600, and it had a bunch of extra parts on it (new sights, beavertail, flat mainspring, etc). I ended up trading it for cash and a .357 snubby, which I sold to a friend. Ended up with about $75 less than I wanted after all was said and done. Those MAK90's are great guns, the first rifle I owned was a MAK 90, so I've got a soft spot.

Something to look for on the rifle is if the rear of the receiver is straight or slanted. Most stocks won't work on the slant cut receiver, so if you're wanting to put a pistol grip and conventional stock on there and it is slanted, you'd need to get a stock that was made for the slant cut. Check Ironwood Designs, they make one.

The MAK90 was built in response to the 94 AWB. Notice it doesn't have pistol grip, bayonet lug, or threaded barrel, amongst other evil features.

Edit .. posted at the same time as Evil Christ, some of this info is duplicated, heh.

Yeah, he's not actually selling anything, he doesn't need to be a contributor :)

So, the deal with the MAK-90, they are Chinese AKs; I got one from a buddy who owed me some money. They were commonly sold during the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban as Sporter AK-47's. The one I have probably has 10k-20k (yes thousand heh) rounds through it and still shoots fine. The gun is comfortable to shoot for a right-hander lefties are out of luck. Also, stock rifles don't have threaded muzzles, bayonet lugs, and the rear receiver has that rounded cut. The receiver is cut like that so it was theoretically not possible to convert the rifle into a pistol grip configuration. They do take any standard AK magazine or drum. These days, Ironwood does make furniture designed for the MAK-90's bizarre receiver you could also use the Choate drugonov style stock.

If you want to look at the current market price for the MAK-90, I'd recommend checking out gunbroker. Here's a list of completed auctions searching for "MAK-90"...

http://tinyurl.com/yjgdmbm

In the end if you don't care about the few bad features, the MAK-90 is a decent shooter.

Edited by vbrtrmn

i would make the trade, anyway so many 1911s to choose from on the market. but the norinco is a good trade considering they dont bring em in anymore, i had a nhm90 in .223 but traded it for a pre-ban colt 9mm carbine. but i still got my norinco pre-b 84s-1. heck i even traded one of my marlin 3030 for a colt 1911 mkIV series 70. im a big fan of the norincos, serioiusly thinkin of gettin one of their 1911s.

before the trade my nhm90 .223 w/plum furniture which needed some shaving on the stock/lowere hg/ to fit, and allot of muscle to twist the upper hg in, but it can be done

135.jpg

MAK-90 I believe, but I'm not too keen on what makes it a MAK-90 though)?

What makes it a MAK-90 is the furniture and the post-ban features (no bayonet lug, unthreaded muzzle). Otherwise, it's just as good as any other Norinco. If you decide to change out the thumbhole stock, you will see that some MAK's have normal-stype straight cut reciever, and some have an angle cut on the rear. If it's angle cut your buttstock choices are limited, but Ironwood makes really nice stuff that fits.

Some Norincos have a rivet hidden under the mag catch lever whose only purpose is to make normal mags not fit. In the old days, apparently, they thought it would be a cool scam to sell "special" magazines with a notch dremeled out to fit over the rivet head. Most Norincos you see these days have the offending rivet ground flush. It serves no other purpose and is hidden on the bottom of the receiver inside mag catch.

All Norinco AK's have nice thick 1.6mm receivers and hard chromed barrels that are a little thicker than Euro barrels. They tend not to have optic mounts on the left side--makes the gun a bit lighter but it can be a negative if you want to run comm-bloc style optics. Everything will be straight and aligned properly, unlike some AK's that look like they were assembled by drunken gorillas with sledgehammers. The finish tends to be blued, rather than parkerizing or paint.... so you do need take more precautions against rust. They sure look nice, though :)

Polytech: pre ban, all evil features including an underfolding spike bayonet. They cost a lot these days.

1001346600x4502dj.jpg

NHM: no bayonet. originally came with a thumbhole stock. Threaded muzzle hidden under a piece of pipe that's spot welded on. They deban real nicely.

nhm90-91.jpg

MAK: no bayonet, no muzzle threads. Originally came with a thumbhole stock. Also a good project for de-banning.

mak90.jpg

Edited by aresv