How to remove factory sight leaf?

I searched and didn't see this brought up before.

I got my 19" Saiga 12 with the adjustable sight leaf in on Monday. The one on the bottom here: http://raacfirearms.com/Saiga_12.htm and am planning on putting one of the new Chaos extended rails on it. The fellow I spoke to at Chaos said I'd have to remove the sight leaf in order to get the extended one on, which is great, but... I don't know how to remove it. I see a pin on the rear sight base, and the whole rear sight base is supposed to move from side to side to account for windage (though I haven't gotten it to move successfully). Anyone care to offer tips? Am I on the right track? Do I need to go get some punches?

Thanks!

I got my 19" Saiga 12 with the adjustable sight leaf in on Monday. The one on the bottom here: http://raacfirearms.com/Saiga_12.htm and am planning on putting one of the new Chaos extended rails on it. The fellow I spoke to at Chaos said I'd have to remove the sight leaf in order to get the extended one on, which is great, but... I don't know how to remove it. I see a pin on the rear sight base, and the whole rear sight base is supposed to move from side to side to account for windage (though I haven't gotten it to move successfully). Anyone care to offer tips? Am I on the right track? Do I need to go get some punches?

Thanks!

Edited because I was wrong, Its not the sight I am familiar with

Edited by mav the hypocrite detector

Unless you know something i don't, the new extended rail isn't out yet, and believe me i've checked the chaos site every day. Cameron said he would include instructions to removing the rear sight and stated it was easy. Most people put the gun on its side and use a punch and a hammer and drive the bastard out. I think cameron's way is to take a dremel and make an angle cut into the sight and it'll help it slide out. I don't really remember how it looked, but there was a cad drawing and measurements and all kinds of high tech computer stuff happening that made the process seem easy. In summation: just wait until the rail gets to your doorstep, it'll have instructions.

Thanks!

Drift left to right with a mallet and brass punch.

Thanks!

That's what you'd do to remove the rear sight from an IZ-109. The OP has an IZ-108. The removal method could be the same, but the sights on the two models look substantially different, (from pics, I haven't handled an IZ-108). I suspect that the method to remove the sight from his gun is not identical to the ol "whack it with a hammer" method we use on our IZ-109s. :D

Thanks!

That's what you'd do to remove the rear sight from an IZ-109. The OP has an IZ-108. The removal method could be the same, but the sights on the two models look substantially different, (from pics, I haven't handled an IZ-108). I suspect that the method to remove the sight from his gun is not identical to the ol "whack it with a hammer" method we use on our IZ-109s. :D

Good catch, I missed the details of the type of saiga. I have to retract my statement because I was talking about a IZ-109.

• 3 weeks later...

I tinkered around with it and got it off - take a punch and knock out the pin holding the bar in place in the rear sight. Depress the retaining spring and unscrew the front. It takes a little while because the spring keeps slipping, and is annoying, but it'll come off eventually.

I put the pin back in and am using it and the threaded nub as an interim sight.

To get the rear sight base off, I'm thinking the old whack it with a hammer/attack with dremel idea will do the job.

Edited by hijakk