Brasso Has done a great job to keep my Brass Shiney and Clean

Hi everyone

I was just going through some of my old loaded ammo that i bought about 7yrs ago..Usually they use to tarnish so i would use a little Brasso Polish on a rag to give them a little wipe down and it would restore there finish and color....It seems as though there is alot of controversy using Brasso on Brass due to its active ingredient which is Ammonia...To bust this myth i went out and did some shooting of my old ammo to see if the spent shells had any signs of being brittle or cracking..and there were none to be found. After calling up Hornady they told me Brasso is not something they recommend nor with any other polishing products "but due to Brassos low content of Ammonia the possibilities of your Loaded Brass cracking would be little to none" "The fact is that Large ammounts of ammonia and long term exposure of loaded and reloaded brass could possibly make your Brass Brittle which could lead to cracking over time, this would be prone to happen if your brass was constantly soaked over night in pure ammonia"..... But over 7yrs i have not experienced any of my Loaded Brass with Cracking or signs of Being Brittle.....From my experience i believe it is a great solution to polish up them tarnished copper bullets or brass that you might have..Some prefer Nufinish with petroleum distillates which i was also told is not a good remedy for cleaning Brass due to its possibilities of damaging the powder and primer..I guess everyone has there opinion but there is nothing solid or scientific proven that using Brasso will do serious Harm to your loaded ammo..Nor did i see anything about NUfinish..just alot of theories and hear say stories..

Hand polishing loaded shells is no problem... just dont ever run a bunch of loaded ammo through the tumbler, then shoot it... you might be in for a surprise... :eek:

Tumbling can break down the granular structure of the specific powders... affecting the burn rate, and therefore the pressures of the loads...

:smoke:

"Never-Dull" is what we used in the Navy to polish brass, aluminium, & anything else that could possibly shine.

It comes in a can, it is soaked wool or cotton, so all one needs is a t-shirt to buff it.

I used to polish the huge shells from testfires with this stuff to a mirror finish.

On a side note, it is kinda funny, how during a change of command, a lot of the brass on a ship mysteriously turns painted over night before the new commanding officer arrives so that it doesn't have to be polished anymore. :angel:

trust me i am not looking for the big bang effect if i tumble loaded ammo in a tumbler..I would rather watch it on tv lol..I just brought up this topic because alot of people are scared shitless of using brasso on there ammo..So i had to shoot out my old ammo to bust this myth..