Conversion Question - Safety Lever

While watching the FCG installation video on CSS's website they said that some material would have to be ground off the safety lever for it to fit properly. Is this somethign normally done as part of a conversion? If it does need to be ground down, can somebody give me some pointers on how much / where to grind?

While watching the FCG installation video on CSS's website they said that some material would have to be ground off the safety lever for it to fit properly. Is this somethign normally done as part of a conversion? If it does need to be ground down, can somebody give me some pointers on how much / where to grind?

I beleive that only applies to the Saiga Shotguns, not the rifles...which Saiga are you referring to?

I beleive that only applies to the Saiga Shotguns, not the rifles...which Saiga are you referring to?

My bad....I was referring to a Saiga-12. I've got it completely stripped and have painted the bottom of the reciever at this point. I'm just waiting for my parts to come in later this week to reassemble. If I need to grind something then I want to get it done now so I don't have to waste time during assembly.

My bad....I was referring to a Saiga-12. I've got it completely stripped and have painted the bottom of the reciever at this point. I'm just waiting for my parts to come in later this week to reassemble. If I need to grind something then I want to get it done now so I don't have to waste time during assembly.

I wouldn't grind anything until you have all the parts. This way you can see if you really need to and if you do, you will be able to see exactly how much you need to grind since no two Saigas are alike....especially in the fit and finish area.

[

I wouldn't grind anything until you have all the parts. This way you can see if you really need to and if you do, you will be able to see exactly how much you need to grind since no two Saigas are alike....especially in the fit and finish area.

You make a very valid point here. I will wait until I've got my parts in before fiddling with anything. The FCG I have on order is the Tromix modified Tapco G2. I was just prepping by watching some assembly videos and they were talking about having to grind down the safety to get it to interface properly with the FCG.

So far so good. All my "damage" (file marks, etc) were nicely covered up by a little black spraypaint!! :super:

BTW...the paint I used was Rustoleum High Heat BBQ paint. Seems to have a very close match to the original finish. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW...the paint I used was Rustoleum High Heat BBQ paint. Seems to have a very close match to the original finish. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think several other people mentioned that they had good experiences with that kind of paint. I think that I'm either going to use duracoat or parkerize, I've got two weapons to work on, so maybe one of each.

I think several other people mentioned that they had good experiences with that kind of paint. I think that I'm either going to use duracoat or parkerize, I've got two weapons to work on, so maybe one of each.

Eventually I intend to do a Duracoat job on it (desert camo maybe?), but I opted for spraypaint right now so I can get it together and get some shootin' done! I've been shooting it regularly in sporter config for months now and I finally have the time to tinker with it. My wife just got herself a new Mossy 590 Persuader with a PG stock on it. It looks so badass that I couldn't let her outdo me in the shotgun category.... :haha:

i had to grind down a little bit of the part of the safety next to the BHO so i could get the lever to clear the BHO when i was putting it back in, you will sea what i am talking about when you put it back together.

On my S12, I ran into a similar problem. The safety simply wouldn't weasel past the BHO. I was able to get the safety in without any grinding by doing the following: With the FCG fully installed and the BHO retained by the axis pin, I removed the stock and left the BHO spring leg off of the BHO. I then pushed the BHO in toward the center of the gun with a screwdriver, bending it slightly to clear the bolt rail (don't worry, it won't stay bent - it'll pop right back into shape), and rotated it up and out, so the "active" end of the BHO (the end that catches the bolt) was sitting up and out of the top of the receiver. I then installed the safety, locking it into place and into the FCG retainer plate. I then rotated the BHO back down into its correct position. Using a thin screwdriver (a pick would work even better), I snagged the end of the BHO spring through the tail end of the receiver (this is why you need the stock off) and lifted it up and onto the tail of the BHO. I then reinstalled the stock.

Just a different method to accomplish the same thing. Though it sounds like a lot of steps, it's actually quite quick, and accessing the BHO spring through the rear of the receiver is surprisingly simple. I can take pictures of the process if it helps.

Edited by thealmightysam