Chaos Rail / Sight Question?

So i got my S12 a little while back, been reading as much as i can and thought i had my conversion/game plan all laid out for her. But, ran into my first question as i start the process.

I picked up a Chaos Quad during the sale cuz i intended to run a Red Dot only. I've been reading up a little on iron sights and (now) thought it would be nice to have the ability to run both. Since i already have the Chaos rail, i was wondering if there's a way to run both?

I know i could just unbolt the top rail with the Red Dot on it and use the irons but i think the Chaos looks a little unfinished like that. In that case i would rather run a detachable side mount and get an OEM style front guard w/Pic. rails.

Guess my question is... Is there a rear sight that is taller than the rail. Maybe used with a Krebs front? Then i could just get a quick release Red Dot mount and run both? Read a post on here about using a flip up AR style rear sight but don't see too many other people using/talking about them?

I'm not in love with the rail or using a Red Dot at all, so any suggestions are appreciated. Should i maybe just choose either a Red Dot OR Irons before hand? Will be using the S12 only for HD and desert plinking, so maybe a Red Dot is overkill anyway. I just like versatility and options.

Thanks, this noobs confused!

Normally I would recommend a set of Krebs S-12 iron sights and a Chaos tri-rail. However, since you've already got the quad rail, (and therefore no tri-rail gas tube guards), I would recommend you get some Krebs S-12 irons, (from CSS or Krebs), and one of Cobra's vented gas tube covers, (directly or from CSS). If you get some decent rail covers like Magpuls, you should be able to just use the lower part of the Chaos quad, along with the Krebs sights for good effect.

If you want to mount a red dot, I suggest using the side-mount rivetted into the receiver. Using that with a (ideally quick-release) pic rail mount, you have a lot of options.

• Like 1

I WAS wondering what just the tri-rail would look like with Cobras shield and some side covers. Seems like that would finish it off a bit. Anyone know of any pics or anyone who's run the Chaos rail(or any tri-rail)like that?

Again, my hearts not set on using it, just thought i might try since i already have it. Now i'm thinking an OEM handguard w/pic. rails and a side mount if i ran a Red Dot would be the way to go.

Does seem like a flip up AR rear sight would give me all options, but still not sure if it works well or how that would install?

Thanks for the input.

I'm in exactly the same situation.

I ordered a quad during the sale, but don't like the fact that it obscures the factory sites. I was thinking of a Krebs, but you can't use it effectively with the Chaos top rail.

I pulled the top rail off, and don't like the look of the bottom by itself. I'm now waiting for some Magpul rail covers (the 3" ones) to be delivered, and I'll see how they look installed on the bottom.

If that doesn't work out, I'll look to sell the whole quad rail on the equipment exchange, and stick with just the stock handguard.

EDIT

It's worthy to mention that while I love the quality and weight of the Chaos rail, the color is off. It's more gray when compared to the black of the factory gun, and looks a bit awkward when installed.

Edited by billyjoebob

Ok I have the CHAOS quad rail and Krebs sights. The sight WILL NOT clear the rail top, I have decided to go with the tri-rail setup. Cameron quoted me 50 bucks for the 2 side pieces for the tri-rail. Cobra's gas tube cover will fit nicely with the tri-rail. What im gonna do with the top part of the quad-rail I don't know. Maybe a cool paper weight. And mine is black as my weapon, but mine was one of the first 20 Cameron made, so he might have changed his hard anodizing process.

HUZZAH!!

Edited by Gothmog

Huh?...never realized he had "side-things"(lol) to go with the tri-rail. That would definitely look more finished.I might like this thing after all. I'll call Chaos.

Post some pics if you get em' dialed in. Would like to see it with some Magpul covers and Krebs sights.