I have a Magnum Research Micro Eagle .380.

It's a great pocket pistol that is light, accurate and sized a little different than most pistols it's size.. But, It's SILVER (Nickel Teflon). Not quite as bright as chrome, but close enough that if your pocket were to hang open, it is obvious that it is not a wallet/cell phone in your pocket.

I'm thinking of refinishing it with black duracoat or some other finish that will at least make the backstrap and rear of the slide harder to see. I've never dealt with nickel teflon before and wondered it anyone had any experience replacing nickel teflon with another finish. This is a daily carry weapon, so I'm not concerned with altering it in anyway. My main concern is that it is not actually a finish, but a plating of some kind. I'd sure hate to sand blast it only to find out it is plated... All help appreciated..

post-3097-12584911850044_thumb.jpg

Have you considered simply having the gun blued? There are lots of fancy ways to get a dark finish, but for an everyday carry gun, getting the surface blued seems a practical solution to me.

WS

Have you considered simply having the gun blued? There are lots of fancy ways to get a dark finish, but for an everyday carry gun, getting the surface blued seems a practical solution to me.

WS

Yes.. I have considered that as well. I happen to have some black duracoat that I need to use. Metal prep is my main concern. I would like to sandblast it to prep the metal and just don't know enough about the nickel teflon finish to know how hard it is or whether its plating or just another finish with a new name. I just want to cover the exterior. I would remove/tape up the internals as the nickel teflon finish is reported to have lubricating properties.

Thanks WS

WS

Yes.. I have considered that as well. I happen to have some black duracoat that I need to use. Metal prep is my main concern. I would like to sandblast it to prep the metal and just don't know enough about the nickel teflon finish to know how hard it is or whether its plating or just another finish with a new name. I just want to cover the exterior. I would remove/tape up the internals as the nickel teflon finish is reported to have lubricating properties.

Thanks WS

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Good luck!

WS

• 2 months later...

I would leave the finish as it is and just rough it up a little, then duracoat.

I have a Stainless 1911 that blinded the crap out of me during a match, so I used some molly teflon spray on finish from brownells, then stuck it in the oven...

Turned out great, and the action is smooth as crap now. :)

I also finished all friction parts inside of the gun including the trigger bar. :super:

1911M4.jpg