Nice Gas Block Pin Job

Just finished a basic conversion (my first) on a new s308. Everything went pretty well, no major hickups. The stock safety lever even works with my Tacpco g2 trigger group. I will probably add a little bit too it anyway so it will lock up a little tighter than what it does... but good enough for now. Only thing left is to fit the stock. Amazing what you can do with a drill, dremel, and a few simple hand tools. Big thanks to this board and all the useful information on it.

Basic308Conversion.jpg

A couple of surprises were the gas tube and the hand guard were darn near impossible to get off. Not hard to figure out the hand guard issue once it came lose. Nice pin job Vladimir!

GasBlockPin_1.jpg

GasBlockPin_2.jpg

I had to file down the bevel on the gas tube where the hold down mechanism could actually close. I had to torque it really hard to get it off and there was no way that puppy was going back on. I don't know how they got it on the first time.

Nice clean restoration!

As for the pin, well correcting QC issues is a part of this firearm!

Well, I wish I had looked this rifle over with a more critical eye before I started cutting stuff off of it. The gas block is definitely canted to the right. :ded: I'm hoping when Vladimir was pounding those pins in he managed to keep the vent holes lined up. I'll shoot it this weekend and make sure everything functions. It probably will and I guess I'll either learn to live with it, figure out how to fix it myself or start looking for a gun smith.

I can probably pound out the pins and get the gas block off, but how does one go about making sure the vents get lined up? Also, in the case of a canted gas block or front site if you have to slightly redrill the grooves in the barrel that the pins use to hold on, what keeps it from rotating slightly back into it's original position?

Edited by spitstickler

spitstickler,

My gas block is canted too. I didn't notice it until I mounted the ACE front sight attachment to it. I'm thinking of knocking those pins out and drilling / tapping then screwing the gas block to the barrel once it's been moved. For now, mine is sighted in. But, the rear sight is pushed over to one side to line up with the front sight. As for the gas holes lining up, I'm not too worried about it at this point. If I do all the work and it doesn't cycle, then I'll troubleshoot that part. The gas block isn't canted that much on mine anway.