Scopes, Sights and Mounts...Oh Boy!

Hey all, just got my first Saiga and I love it! Now comes the big desicion, do I stick with iron sights, go with a low profile red dot sight like the LaRue IronDot or a full-fledged red dot scope. Personally, I love using iron sights and my first trip to the range proved this, I was hitting dead center all day form 50Y. But alas, the Saiga's rear flat sight leaves a lot of room for play during quick target aquisition. I think I would love the LaRue since it allows the use of the iron sights in addition to a snap on target red dot. However, it does not seem like these are available anymore...what gives??

Ok, so assuming I can't get the LaRue, what would you guys recommend next? I don't want a magnification scope more than 2x as I don't plan on shooting at targets more than maybe 200 yards at most.I am not sure if I want to go with a high mount that allows the use of iron sights thru it, I have never been a huge fan of that high a profile scope/mount. What about the Scout Scope mount, it appears to have the flat rear sights built into the mount, which could be useful. Of course, it can't be used with the scope, but in case of a fatal problem it could quickly be removed and the mount would not inhibit the use of iron sights.

I am sure there are many more options out there, that is what I am putting out to you guys. What set-ups are you using as far as scopes and mounts? What works, and what doesn't!!

Thanks in advance! I love my Saiga and look forward to making it juuuust right.

...I think I would love the LaRue since it allows the use of the iron sights in addition to a snap on target red dot. However, it does not seem like these are available anymore...what gives??...

Afaik, LaRue is currently redesigning the AK IronDot to better work with certain mrd's. They should be available down the road, but I couldn't tell you when.

Another possible replacement for your factory irons would be the AK tritium sights from XS Sight Systems. They allow for much quicker target acquisition and work far better in low-light conditions. Check em out.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Damn, you guys are good! Great work, that is exactly what I was looking for Rhodes/Post-Apoc. What do you guys think about using the two together, Krebbs RS with the XS front sight? Good set up? I think so, at least until LaRue comes back online... :unsure:

As far as the XS goes, anyone (PostApoc??) have an opinion on the staight vs rounded fs?

thanks again for the great tips!!