Steel shelled shotgun ammo in other shotguns

:unsure: Hello,greetings from the newbie again.Since i cannot apparently own a saiga in 'the liberal politicians' totalitarian state of Kalifornia' (although I KNOW there has to be someone in Kali who NEEDS to sell theirs and I want one still), I have another question.

I have a benelli nova with 20" and 7 shot mag,3 1/2 inch chamber,hard chromed barrel,ghost ring sights,I was wondering if I can shoot the Russian Steel hulled shotgun shells through it.I want some of this ammo for use when I am in the'bush' back packing,camping,etc and want long term storage capability and weather resistance.I have shot old plastic shells that I guess I had longer than I thought and they bacame quite 'brittle' to the point that some pieces of the shell flew out with the shot and wad!?!?!

Thanks for any help on this issue

:donatello: Callabunga DUDE!!,

Years ago shotgun shells were made out of brass or paper. They determined that the brass and bi-metal hulls (cases) were hard on thin skin barrels and operating systems of some pumps ( the lips were catching in the actions). So Paper was the best alternative, but it had no weather resistance, even when covered in wax.

Then came along the plastic hull and revolutionized the whole shotgun world. Plastic hulls inside a brass sleeve could lock-out the moisture and were far easier on actions of pumps and semi-autos.

Q. Are you shooting reloads? Are you shooting Remington, PMC, Fiocchii, S&B, or Wolf shot shells?

If you are shooting reloads then don't trust the reloads for survival and switch to Winchester shot shells. Winchester has thicker walls and better seals to counter the elements of wet weather.

I Shoot all types of ammo in my shotguns, usually what's on sale. But nothing beats Winchester for Patterning, reliability, and smooth operation in all types of shotguns.

:ded: I just recently killed a deer with a Winchester 00 buck 2 3/4" plastic case high brass base shell that my grandfather gave me. He carried a box of them in his hunting vest for nearly 30 years before he gave them to me (NOTE: they use to sell buckshot in twenty round boxes just like the small shot shell are today), I carried them in my vest for 7 years before I shot the last one and killed that deer.

I hope that is a fare description of reliability.

:killer:

-Rock47