main recoil spring reduction

Personally I'd vote for NONE. Weaker springs are a band-aid for a gun that's rough or undergassed.

Can you reduce the spring strength and still light primers? Yes. I wouldn't bother with it for a competition or self-defense gun where every shot counts.

• Like 1

how much can i take off and still be totally safe?

thank you

Are you considering cutting the spring? You're going to be disappointed if you do. Cutting a spring typically increases the spring rate, counterintuitively.

For what reason are you wanting to reduce the power of the main spring? If it's having trouble ejecting low brass, it either needs to be broken in, needs a Gunfixer plug, needs more gas ports, or some combination of the above.

thank you

Are you considering cutting the spring? You're going to be disappointed if you do. Cutting a spring typically increases the spring rate, counterintuitively.

For what reason are you wanting to reduce the power of the main spring? If it's having trouble ejecting low brass, it either needs to be broken in, needs a Gunfixer plug, needs more gas ports, or some combination of the above.

ive more or less broken it in. it has a GF plug, so i guess i need more than the two ports i have. i cant send it off, time is evtreamly important, i have a smith freind, ill get him to put two more in. thanks

If it's a 19" gun, then yes, the consensus is that it needs more than just two ports. Have you knocked the gas block off? You might find there's a port or two hanging out in the wrong spot, covered by the block. Some creative Dremeling on the gas port hole in the block can make these blocked holes functional, and with not a whole lot of fuss.

Elsewise, get your ass to drilling!

Whoops... I just realized the original question was about recoil springs, not hammer springs. Obviously changing the recoil spring won't cause light primer strkes. It will, however, batter your rear trunnion over time.

A 19" gun with only 2 ports indicates that your gun is probably undergassed. If you don't want to press your gas block off, but have a welder, you might consider drilling through the gas block from above and then filling the hole(s) on the top side. Just depends on how much time you want to spend on the gun vs. what kind of tools you have available.

If it's a 19" gun, then yes, the consensus is that it needs more than just two ports. Have you knocked the gas block off? You might find there's a port or two hanging out in the wrong spot, covered by the block. Some creative Dremeling on the gas port hole in the block can make these blocked holes functional, and with not a whole lot of fuss.

Elsewise, get your ass to drilling!

no its a 107 24" and its going to be one heck of an amalgamation by the time my restoration job is done.

thanks for the info. will try to get this in next weekend after turkyday.

happy thanksgiving.

thank you

ive more or less broken it in. it has a GF plug, so i guess i need more than the two ports i have. i cant send it off, time is evtreamly important, i have a smith freind, ill get him to put two more in. thanks

Please don't. That's what I think happened to the gun on a recent thread that was slamming the rear trunnion.

If your going to leave the barrel at 24", two ports are probably sufficient as that's what they left the factory with. If your going to cut it back to 18 or 19". then you may need to add a third. There is no need to add a 4th port unless your going to SBS it. If all this to to allow it to function with value pack bulk ammo, there is another solution; buy better ammo.

By all means take it to your friend and let him make sure the ports are open and unobstructed. He may find other issues that may cause functioning problems. Just grabbing a drill can cause more problems, and the barrel is one part we cannot buy.

thank you

Please don't. That's what I think happened to the gun on a recent thread that was slamming the rear trunnion.

If your going to leave the barrel at 24", two ports are probably sufficient as that's what they left the factory with. If your going to cut it back to 18 or 19". then you may need to add a third. There is no need to add a 4th port unless your going to SBS it. If all this to to allow it to function with value pack bulk ammo, there is another solution; buy better ammo.

By all means take it to your friend and let him make sure the ports are open and unobstructed. He may find other issues that may cause functioning problems. Just grabbing a drill can cause more problems, and the barrel is one part we cannot buy.

i only shoot bulk pack federal, and every 5th round is a FTE. is their any way to combat this?