Could someone direct me please, Saiga mag conversion

Hi all

Could someone direct me on who and what I need to do to get my Saiga AK converted to accept regular ak mags? Who can I call or ship to for conversion and do any of you have any idea on approx cost to do this? Also, one last thing, after conversion can I still use my Saiga 30 round surefire gun mags or will I only be able to use the regular ak mags? Im located in Atlanta, Ga. Thanks to all in advance.

Hi all

Could someone direct me on who and what I need to do to get my Saiga AK converted to accept regular ak mags? Who can I call or ship to for conversion and do any of you have any idea on approx cost to do this? Also, one last thing, after conversion can I still use my Saiga 30 round surefire gun mags or will I only be able to use the regular ak mags? Im located in Atlanta, Ga. Thanks to all in advance.

You have options including doing the conversion/restoration yourself. It is satisfying and likely the most economical choice. There are tutorials and guides on the steps found here on the forum. Otherwise you can select among several vendors here that will do a conversion for you at varying price points depending on vendor and options. Visit the list of Vendors on the forum and check out their services. Expect to drop anywhere from $150 to $1500 depending on what you choose to do to achieve 922R compliance when moving to higher capacity magazines and mil-surp mags.

Doing a conversion yourself and staying legally compliant is not difficult. I have done three conversions and I am not the most mechanically inclined soul. You just need to do your homework and use a few simple tools including a Dremel. By converting and including enough US parts you will give your rifle improved balance, a much better trigger and the legal right to use a magazine with more than ten rounds.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on your decision and progress.

Install a bullet-guide for $30 Dinzag and a US made handguard (1 part 922r)and use US made mags (3 parts 922r).

Basic Pistol Grip 'conversions' cost $150-400 I was told when I was looking. Did it myself in 1 1/4 hours of time with dremel and patience. You also get to LEARN about your firearm in the process. Cost of parts was $100 or so.

Install a bullet-guide for $30 Dinzag and a US made handguard (1 part 922r)and use US made mags (3 parts 922r).

Basic Pistol Grip 'conversions' cost $150-400 I was told when I was looking. Did it myself in 1 1/4 hours of time with dremel and patience. You also get to LEARN about your firearm in the process. Cost of parts was $100 or so.

I have converted with a pistol grip and multi position buttstock as well as rod, etc. so I am compliant on using 30 round mags. I currently use Surefire 30 rounders but if I convert it over to use regular milsurp and regular ak mags will I still be able to use the surefire mags I own? I really dont want to do the mag conversion myself, just really busy, do you guys have any vendor that you like over another? Thanks again in advance.

That works for US made mags ( like the Surefires) but not mil-surp which are also foreign parts and will not get you to 922R compliance. If I understood the OP he was looking to use standard AK mags.

I have converted with a pistol grip and multi position buttstock as well as rod, etc. so I am compliant on using 30 round mags. I currently use Surefire 30 rounders but if I convert it over to use regular milsurp and regular ak mags will I still be able to use the surefire mags I own? I really dont want to do the mag conversion myself, just really busy, do you guys have any vendor that you like over another? Thanks again in advance.

So you've already done the pistol grip conversion, but want to send your gun out just to have someone install a bullet guide?

As for your Surefire mags........yes, they'll work after a bullet guide is installed (the same way factory mags still work after a bullet guide is installed). At most, you'd need to do some filing on the "lip" of the Surefire mag. But even that is not a guaranteed "must-do". But either way, your Surefires will indeed work with a bullet guide in place.

So you've already done the pistol grip conversion, but want to send your gun out just to have someone install a bullet guide?

As for your Surefire mags........yes, they'll work after a bullet guide is installed (the same way factory mags still work after a bullet guide is installed). At most, you'd need to do some filing on the "lip" of the Surefire mag. But even that is not a guaranteed "must-do". But either way, your Surefires will indeed work with a bullet guide in place.

Crap, I see what you are saying, as soon as I switch over and run the commie mags Ill need 3 other US parts to stay in compliance, well then, I guess I could always run the tapco mags, but, ill do some research or contact cobra as the poster below has recommended. Does it sound like im on the right track??

Crap, I see what you are saying, as soon as I switch over and run the commie mags Ill need 3 other US parts to stay in compliance, well then, I guess I could always run the tapco mags, but, ill do some research or contact cobra as the poster below has recommended. Does it sound like im on the right track??

But if you've already converted your Saiga, I'm assuming you have a US made FCG installed, no? That's 3 US made parts right there, and you'd only need 1 more. So if your stock and piston swap you spoke of, are US made, you're good to go for any mags.

Or did you mean "converted with pistol grip and multi position buttstock" as in that all-in-one Tapco unit for unconverted Saigas? If that's the case, then you're going to need to go a different route.

Start with a list of what exactly you have added/swapped and if it's a real conversion or one of those Tapco units. Then we can help you out more.

Edited by -Shooter-

Send a PM to Cobra 76 Two and ask what he would charge you to install a bullet guide (from Dinzag). That install would be right up his alley if you don't want to tackle it due to time, etc.

As far as I know, Cobra doesn't have his FFL yet. Meaning, unless the OP lives in NC like Cobra, he can't just send his gun in the mail to him.

But if you've already converted your Saiga, I'm assuming you have a US made FCG installed, no? That's 3 US made parts right there, and you'd only need 1 more. So if your stock and piston swap you spoke of, are US made, you're good to go for any mags.

Or did you mean "converted with pistol grip and multi position buttstock" as in that all-in-one Tapco unit for unconverted Saigas? If that's the case, then you're going to need to go a different route.

Start with a list of what exactly you have added/swapped and if it's a real conversion or one of those Tapco units. Then we can help you out more.

Yep, you nailed it. I have added the tapco T6 kit and the tapco piston. As I read the laws, the US made mags counted as 3 parts, so I am good right now as long as i use a US made mag only. I have 6 US made parts on the rifle with the mags. Any advice? By the way I plan on adding a US made lower handguard as well as upper handguard so this would be 2 more US made parts. I really appreciate all your help.

Yep, you nailed it. I have added the tapco T6 kit and the tapco piston. As I read the laws, the US made mags counted as 3 parts, so I am good right now as long as i use a US made mag only. I have 6 US made parts on the rifle with the mags. Any advice? By the way I plan on adding a US made lower handguard as well as upper handguard so this would be 2 more US made parts. I really appreciate all your help.

OK, so with the Tapco stock/PG unit and Tapco piston, you have swapped 2 parts. So you'd be at 12 foreign parts.

You still need to swap out at least 2 more parts, for US made ones to get to where you want. You said you already plan on swapping out the handguard, but just FYI, it only counts as 1 part (even if it's an upper/lower handguard).

So after that, you still need 1 more US part.

Easiest route would probably be tossing in a US made floorplate or follower (either one counts as 1 part) into all of your commie AK mags.

My honest recommendation? Do the regular conversion. That's 3 more US made parts alone, with the FCG. Besides all of the performance benefits, it gives you a little more leeway when choosing parts and not having to worry as much if it's US made or not.

Actually the tapco stock/pg kit counts as 2 922 parts.

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=STK07160BLACK

Ok , how does this sound:

Tapco stock / pg kit = 2 parts

US made handguard - upper and lower = 1 part

Tapco piston = 1 part

Thats 4 parts US made. Then would i be ok using the steel commie mags in original configuration or would I still need to swap out the floor plates and followers on them because they would essentially add 3 foreign parts back to the weapon? Im sorry to sound like such a dumbass, I really do know a few things about firearms but the 922r is kinda hard to understand at certain areas. I really dont want to mess with the FCG. Again, help appreciated very much.

Actually the tapco stock/pg kit counts as 2 922 parts.

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=STK07160BLACK

Ok , how does this sound:

Tapco stock / pg kit = 2 parts

US made handguard - upper and lower = 1 part

Tapco piston = 1 part

Thats 4 parts US made. Then would i be ok using the steel commie mags in original configuration or would I still need to swap out the floor plates and followers on them because they would essentially add 3 foreign parts back to the weapon? Im sorry to sound like such a dumbass, I really do know a few things about firearms but the 922r is kinda hard to understand at certain areas. I really dont want to mess with the FCG. Again, help appreciated very much.

Let's clear some things up first:

- That Tapco PG/stock unit is indeed 2 US parts.........but, when using them on a Saiga, you're only actually getting 1 part swap, and 1 part toward your compliance. Reason being, is that the pistol grip is not replacing anything, as Saigas don't have them to begin with. 922r is about removing foreign parts, not just adding US parts. So out of those 14 counted parts, on a factory Saiga rifle, the PG is not on the list.

- The 3 magazine parts (body, follower, floorplate) are counted in the original 14 parts, in factory configuration. So, in other words, adding a magazine, does not add 3 more parts to the 14. It's already included in it.

So we're still back to my last post. You need to swap out 1 more part.

Study this site for the parts you need or want. I looked for a Gunsmith local and found a gem. He converted both of my Saigas and he will do all my work in the future. He is good and extremely fair with his labor.

Edited by Lakedweller