different kinds of 5.45 ammo

I'm curious about the differences between the various 5.45 ammo that is available; I'm especially interested in the differences in lethality/effectiveness. I haven't been able to find anything on Google.

Here are the types available on gun-deals.com. First, the surplus, corrosive ammo:

- Russian 7N6

- Ukrainian 80's surplus

- Bulgarian 7N6

All of these are 53 grain bullets.

And the commercial ammo:

- Silver Bear (60 grains)

- Wolf Military Classic (70 grains)

- Wolf/Wolf Performance/Wolf Black Box (60 grains). Hopefully I'm assuming correctly that these three all refer to the same thing.

Are any of these noticeably more accurate in your Saiga's? Can I expect the higher grain bullets to hit harder, or penetrate better? Do all three of the commercial types have the air pocket that causes the bullet to tumble?

And lastly - less importantly - does the Ukrainian or Bulgarian surplus stink less than the Russian stuff? I was smelling the nasty stuff all day after I left the range.

Thanks.

Jim

I'm curious about the differences between the various 5.45 ammo that is available; I'm especially interested in the differences in lethality/effectiveness. I haven't been able to find anything on Google.

Here are the types available on gun-deals.com. First, the surplus, corrosive ammo:

- Russian 7N6

- Ukrainian 80's surplus

- Bulgarian 7N6

All of these are 53 grain bullets.

And the commercial ammo:

- Silver Bear (60 grains)

- Wolf Military Classic (70 grains)

- Wolf/Wolf Performance/Wolf Black Box (60 grains). Hopefully I'm assuming correctly that these three all refer to the same thing.

Are any of these noticeably more accurate in your Saiga's? Can I expect the higher grain bullets to hit harder, or penetrate better? Do all three of the commercial types have the air pocket that causes the bullet to tumble?

And lastly - less importantly - does the Ukrainian or Bulgarian surplus stink less than the Russian stuff? I was smelling the nasty stuff all day after I left the range.

Thanks.

Jim

All the com-bloc surplus is loaded with 7n6 and corrosive as far as I know. The projectile has a tendency to tumble rapidly upon entering soft tissue, leaving a more dramatic wound profile than 7.62x39 M43 projectiles, but not nearly so devastating as 5.56 M193 and M855 projectiles that are going fast enough to tumble/fragment.

The advantage is that the 7n6 will tumble at low velocity, while the 5.56 loadings will reach a certain threshold and tend to just go straight through, without having the velocity to fragment.

As to commercial loadings of 5.45, I'm not familiar with the characteristics of those projectiles. Hornady is working in conjunction with Barnaul to bring modern 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 to the market, loaded with Horndady's V-Max ballistic tip projectile. If I were looking for home defense ammo for my carbine, that would be my choice.

• 5 weeks later...

If you live in a humid part of the USA or are looking at long term storage, I would imagine that the regular paper bundles that Bear comes in, in a metal surplus ammo can like the 30/50 cal ones that sell for like $6-9, if they still have the rubber gasket intact on the seam, and a couple bags of desiccant inside will keep it dry and in good shape for a pretty long time. But I am not an expert so double check that.