ace clamp on sight block experiences

Hi, so i thought i would share some experiences of using an ace clamp on sight block and what i did after i removed my old front sight block. I have a saiga 7.62x39. I wanted something with a bit different look so i thought of putting on an ace clamp on front sight block. I was hesitant at first, because i knew this would mean removing my stock front sight block. I wasnt sure how i was going to cover up whatever was left when i removed it. But i went ahead and bit the bullet. My rifles factory FSB was not held in by pins, instead it had 2 holes drilled into the barrel on both sides and the FSB was crimped into these holes. So what you get when you remove the FSB is four ugly dimples drilled into your barrel and in my case some nice chisel marks where i got a bit to carried away. Not good.

rsz_ff.jpg?t=1260839425

So something had to be done about the mess i made. I looked at the Krebs custom rifles that use a gas block sight and it apeared they had some type of sleeve that fit over that portion of the barrel.I later found out the front portion of the sleeve was threaded to index the muzzle device. I checked with Krebs customs and they dont sell this piece seperatly, and even if they did it was threaded for AR15 sized threads. No go there. So i looked for a machinist that may be able to make what i was looking for, and i found one by chance. He suggested a tube that would be tightly fit to my barrel, it would slide down enough to expose a few threads, then the muzzle device would be threaded onto the barrel to the desired depth and indexing pressing this "tube" onto the barrel. After that i would tighten 3 set screws to hold everything in place. This would cover the pimples in my barrel, the ugly chisel marks, and index my muzzle device. I have to say it worked perfectly. Here is how it turned out.

rsz_ak_033.jpg?t=1260839688

rsz_ak_001.jpg?t=1260840102

rsz_ak_034.jpg?t=1260839413

I plan on duracoating the rifle flat dark earth so the tube doesnt stick out like some ghetto bling. Im really happy how it came out. The machinist who helped me out with this was Robert from www.edsmetalshop.com I think he did a great job and it worked just how he said it would. I cant wait to shoot it and see how the FSC47 muzzle brake works out!

Edited by seanb