I have all kinds of stuff that was untested, so I went to the range to wring it out.

First, my buddy had a POF .308. It turns out, the "relentless reliability" statement is only correct if you fine tune the DMPS mags to the gun. Those mags won't "necessarily" work right out of the box. We had all kinds of FTF issues. To make them work, the barrel end of the feed lips have to be turned up a hair or the round won't hit the bullet guide feed ramps.

I am not sure why they wouldn't fix that shit in the design. WTF??? Anyway, we went through a bunch of mags and fine tuned them. They work great now, but there is another issue that crops up occasionally - fail to eject. If you're not using strong rounds, occasionally a spent round won't clear and it will get trapped between the bolt and the chamber. We were shooting some PRVI Partisan soft points. I would have thought that stuff would be powerful, but the rounds were only ejecting six inches to a foot away.

Second, I tried some Fiocci XP HP in my Glock. The fucking Glock broke! I couldn't even find where the broken piece of metal came from that I found when I disassembled the gun, but it was enough to stop the whole thing. Is XP too much for a damned GLOCK? I've never heard of that shit.

Third, after all this BS, we broke out the AK-47s. Man, those fuckers fire every God damned time. They eat any kind of ammo and they NEVER fail to feed or fail to eject or fail to fire. I LOVE THE AK. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. The shells fly out at least 10 feet if not farther. It's not as accurate as some other guns, but WTF good is accuracy when you're out of the fight trying to figure out why your gun didn't fire? It's more than good enough to get a torso shot at 200 yards. We were doing that today. If my life is on the line, I'll pick up the Saiga or the AK. I'm kinda freaked about the Glock. Shit, that was my go to handgun, but I'm not so sure now.

Prvi Partizan .308 is loaded light, so as not to blow up mil-surp semiautos such as CETMEs. Magazines are always the weakest link in a semiauto gun. I haven't heard of POF-USA AR-10's being any more or less reliable than others, so hopefully it was just a case of junk magazines.

What happened to your Glock? Do you know where or how it broke? Would be interested to learn more.

I bought a DPMS 308 and absolutIely love it. I have fired nothing but Federal through it but neverhad a FTE in any of my 5 mags. I recently bought during the Obama Ammo thing a 1000 rounds of Wolf (non brass) and know that even though they changed the coating, I will still have too brush the barrel out good before going back to the close tolerance Federal.

post-8235-1261358582101_thumb.jpg

Actually, chambers get fouled from steelcase ammo because the steel doesn't expand as much as brass cases. The cases don't seal quite as tightly, and the blowby builds up in the chamber.

Then when you switch to brass cased ammo without cleaning the chamber, the brass expands and glues itself to the fouling on your chamber walls. So if you shoot steelcase exclusively, don't worry. If you have a mix of brass and steel, clean your chamber before switching to brass.

AR-10's are actually fairly tolerant of steel cased ammo (as long as you're happy with the accuracy). The real issues are with fluted chambers where the steel cases simply cannot expand to seal and foul like crazy. So... enjoy your AR and blame the CETME and PTR guys for giving steel cases a bad rap :)

Edited by 3ae6ucb

I think I've used the same ammo, without problems. Nickel cases, comes in 50 round boxes, and the projectile looks identical to the ones in Hornady TAP ammo?

The only Hornady TAP ammo I've seen is for the .223. It has a red tip on it. This looks like a regular .45 HP (like Gold Dot or something). I haven't seen Hornady in .45 so I am not sure.

Here is what it is: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=fiocchi+45+xtp&oe=UTF-8&cid=8005769560667131895&sa=title#p

I bought a DPMS 308 and absolutIely love it. I have fired nothing but Federal through it but neverhad a FTE in any of my 5 mags. I recently bought during the Obama Ammo thing a 1000 rounds of Wolf (non brass) and know that even though they changed the coating, I will still have too brush the barrel out good before going back to the close tolerance Federal.

I don't think it was the mags that were causing the FTE. I think it was the light ammo. The mags were causing the FTF, but I think we have that worked out now.

Prvi Partizan .308 is loaded light, so as not to blow up mil-surp semiautos such as CETMEs. Magazines are always the weakest link in a semiauto gun. I haven't heard of POF-USA AR-10's being any more or less reliable than others, so hopefully it was just a case of junk magazines.

What happened to your Glock? Do you know where or how it broke? Would be interested to learn more.

I'd like a stronger .308 SP round. What do you suggest? I thought PRVI would be stronger than it is.

I think I've used the same ammo, without problems. Nickel cases, comes in 50 round boxes, and the projectile looks identical to the ones in Hornady TAP ammo?

The only Hornady TAP ammo I've seen is for the .223. It has a red tip on it. This looks like a regular .45 HP (like Gold Dot or something). I haven't seen Hornady in .45 so I am not sure.

Here is what it is: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=fiocchi+45+xtp&oe=UTF-8&cid=8005769560667131895&sa=title#p

Aye, that's the stuff. I've never had any in .45, just 9mm. Fed it through a G19, and a G23 with a 9mm barrel, both without an issue.