Vodka Specials. What do I look for?

Hey guys,

It has been a while since I've come on here. Anyways, my cousin ordered a S12 with 19" barrel from Arms of America and it should be here in a couple weeks. I've heard about the Vodka Specials that were out maybe months or a year ago. Has anything changed with quality control at the Ishmash factory. With the new 19" S12s, how many gas port holes should there be? My personal S12 (19" barrel, no muzzle threads and no bolt hold open) which is an older model only has 3 gas port holes and 2 gas settings. Do the new S12s have more than 2 gas settings? I just want to be able to go over my cousin's S12 when it arrives. What is a good way to break her in? Should he use high brass/low brass and how many?

Count the gas ports. Unscrew the gas knob and poke a bent paperclip in there and feel. Look down the barrel (WITH THE WEAPON UNLOADED) while shining a light in the gas port.

Older 19" guns have 4 ports in a diamond pattern.

Newer 19" guns have 3 slightly larger ports in a triangle.

If it's a 19" gun with only 2 ports or with ports obstructed by the gas block, it's a vodka special. If one like that "came in" at my FFL as a brand new purchase, I'd refuse it outright. It is the responsibility of the importer and distributors to QA their product.

I just looked at mine and checked it with a flashlight and a paper clip. It has 3 ports in the triangle pattern. It is stamped 2001 on the receiver but the barrel is not threaded and there is no BHO lever. Is mine considered the newer model?

I just looked at mine and checked it with a flashlight and a paper clip. It has 3 ports in the triangle pattern. It is stamped 2001 on the receiver but the barrel is not threaded and there is no BHO lever. Is mine considered the newer model?

No. The lack of factory BHO pegs your gun as "really old" :lol:

I've seen '06 and '07 guns with 4 ports and they ran fine. Then came the vodka specials, and lately the 19-inchers seem to be of the 3-port variety and run fine.

Some 4 port guns have the gas block too far forward or aft on the barrel, which blocks the 4th port in the diamond pattern. If your gun runs well, though, it's probably not a big deal.

No. The lack of factory BHO pegs your gun as "really old" :lol:

I've seen '06 and '07 guns with 4 ports and they ran fine. Then came the vodka specials, and lately the 19-inchers seem to be of the 3-port variety and run fine.

Some 4 port guns have the gas block too far forward or aft on the barrel, which blocks the 4th port in the diamond pattern. If your gun runs well, though, it's probably not a big deal.

Dude that S*#@ is not funny. Now I have to buy a newer model. ;)

No BHO or threading indicates that your gun is an older model. What importer marking is stamped on the receiver?

WS

Mine is imported by EAA Corp, Cocoa FL.

Yep, it's old. But you aren't complaining about how it shoots, so I'm guessing you're satisfied with the performance. Your old gun can be retrofitted with a BHO, and the barrel can be threaded if you want to update it.

Your new gun should have a threaded barrel with a thread protector. You should be able to unscrew the gas plug - look at the round aperture on the bottom side of the gas chamber, just behind the threads, and you should be able to see three ports. The gas adjustments are #1 for high brass, and #2 for lower powered stuff. Expect a break in period, after which you should be able to cycle almost all high brass, and most low brass ammo.

Congratulations on your purchase. What are you planning to do with your old gun?

WS

My S12 has been 100% reliable with all the loads I have shot through her. My actual post for this thread is in regards to my cousin who should be receiving his new S12 in a couple weeks. I will be going with him to give it a look-over and I just wanted to find out how many port holes his newer model S12 should have before he picks it up from his FFL dealer. I will keep my old ass S12 because she has never let me down and I eventually will do the mods myself. I still want to pick-up a newer IZ-109 model. One will have nice wood stocks and the other will be set up in a tacti-cool configuration. I will attempt to do a conversion on my older model first.

Sounds like a good plan to me. All of the information you need to do your mods is most likely right here on the forum in the technical section.

Good luck!

WS