I have had my hands on plenty of weapons and systems, but in civilian life our choices are greatly

limited. I wont go into why I love the saiga as in this forum Im sure its already known. CQB is most of

my style and this thing just DESTROYS!!

I am starting this thread to find out if there are any issues to address in the build of a Saiga 12.

Of course, being an AK system there a virtually no functionality issues, but are there any tweaks that

can dramatically effect the weapon? I am going to strip mine down upon arrival and do the basic parts

deburring, and fine touches, but what else?? Maybe there is, maybe there isn't... I hope some of you

guys can inform me on my new found favorite.

Edited by romeodelta1124

I have had my hands on plenty of weapons and systems, but in civilian life our choices are greatly

limited. I wont go into why I love the saiga as in this forum Im sure its already known. CQB is most of

my style and this thing just DESTROYS!!

I am starting this thread to find out if there are any issues to address in the build of a Saiga 12.

Of course, being an AK system there a virtually no functionality issues, but are there any tweaks that

can dramatically effect the weapon? I am going to strip mine down upon arrival and do the basic parts

deburring, and fine touches, but what else?? Maybe there is, maybe there isn't... I hope some of you

guys can inform me on my new found favorite.

If you search for FTE or for cycle issues you'll find several complaints. Some work absolutely perfect out of the box, some need extensive work.

My advice is to simply grease the rails and take the gun shooting before you do anything to it. That way you know what you're starting with. Bring some buckshot and a bulk pack of federal or remington 7-1/2 bird shot. Shoot the buckshot on gas setting 1 and the bird shot on setting 2.

If the gun runs good order your conversion parts, some surefire/AGP mags, a drum or 2, a "gunfixer" gas adjuster, and a bunch of ammo. :super:

• Like 1

Welcome to the Board!

However, you have asked us to summerize in a single thread much of what this board is about. When you buy a S12 try and get one with 3 or more unobstructed gas ports. If you have problems with it send it to VanKiller (Tom) of Cadiz Gun Works who is the factory authorized warranty repair station and a supporting vendor on this board. If you still have problems with your gun after achieving reliability or with your conversion, post them here. We will get you sorted out.

+ 1 on cleaning and lube. Than take it out and break it in before deciding on what's not broke. Like all AK they run better after a bit of shooting and break in. If not as stated you will have a starting point. Welcome and good luck on the project.

Edited by dlbtap

The thing that made mine work better than it ever has is media-blasting it.....

it ran great as it was stock, then I converted it and it ran better.... then I media-blasted it to paint it and MAN that smoothed the action AMAZINGLY WELL, took abrasive pads to the edges of it as I was converting and that smoothed it out some, but media-blasting seriously smoothed everything so much better that it changed what numbers that I use on the Gunfixr gas plug.....

and it doesn't hurt that the Duracoat looks KILLER on it, too bad I'm gonna strip it down and repaint it some other color (thinking maybe something on the 'wild side' or something that'll make the "anti's" shit their pants....

YES!!! BUFF is on the right trail. See I am a manufacturer, so I absolutely love to make chips and aside from the usual accessory product development... I want to make something special for my boomstick. I planned on stripping it first, hand deburring and stoning, doing any machine work necessary (what Im trying to find out about now), then glassbeading and final coating - probably send it to this hardcoat guy that does my AR's. I already have the conversion parts on the way from Mississippi Auto. I got the works!!.

Thank you all for your replies and I am a NoOb here so I definately need to do more browsing around, thanks for your tollerance.

You might think of making a non kludge folding stock mechanism.

I have yet to see something as slick as on buddies AR clones available.

The best I have found is cut the current stock mount up, bolt a hinge to that and then bolt a stock to the hinge.

The hinge IS clever, but the whole is a kludge.

The slick replacement would be to machine a functional replacement for the part the original stock attaches to but with the hinge mechanism machined in.

Then, machine an aluminum mating hinge part and weld that up as the forward part of the stock.

I would have to get my hands on the parts or see a drawing or something to fully grasp this concept, but it sounds like a good idea.

If not for a product... perhaps just a piece you may enjoy personally. I will be sure to mess around and contact you back if I can devise something... I have plenty of extra aluminum to turn into something.

You will see what I am talking about if you replace your stock.

You most likely will cut up you shotgun if you want to put on

a good stock.

The vendors have several hinge mechanisms available to yu at that point.

Go to a shop that stocks a lot of AR15 and AK's and you will

see how the hinge can be integrated instead of bolted on.

Don't worry about me, I am more than capable of designing and making my own.

I don't have the time, and it's not a business I want to get into.

I was just trying to give you something of the sort you asked for.

It's a nice piece of work, enjoy.

I wish I knew what it took to make a profit selling add on parts.

Every time I look at it there is a new widget I want to build

to improve it. I'm going to go broke buying the nice stuff others

have built. Why should they have all the fun and make all the

money! Just because they have the time?