New Saiga, new member with noob questions, etc

Hello everyone, I recently picked up a SAIGA 308 16 3/4" carbine as my first gun. My main reason for getting one was that A) It's California, and B) its reputation as a quality AK variant. As an aside, I laughed heartily at the poor English translation of the owner's manual.

So on the way back from a gunshow in Ontario (where I was probably stupid and bought a thousand rounds of Wolf ammo for the ungodly-low price of $304), I decided to stop by one of Southern California's indoor shooting ranges, just to break my rifle in. Unfortunately, I was informed that indoor shooting ranges do not allow steel-cased ammo (I had always perceived that rule as "no steel core/jacket/whatever in regards to the actual bullet itself"--totally my mistake), so I had to shoot my more expensive Winchester ammo. As I was putting my 40 rounds through it and getting a feel I noticed that the ejected cartridges all had crescent-shaped indentations where it looks as though the bolt struck the round as it was waiting to be seated. Sorry I don't have a camera for this. Perhaps this is a stupid question but: is this normal? I'm not terribly interested in doing handloads right now (seeing as how I'm sitting on a thousand rounds that surely won't be expended anytime too-too soon), so I'm not concerned about the preservation of cartridges--I'm just wondering if perhaps it could be a problem in the future/problem with my rifle. It should be noted that while it left those indentations, there were no stoppages or malfunctions--as expected.

Also, the looks I got from everyone else at the range when I started firing were worth the $4 range fee + ammo money spent.

Now on to the second question: optics. I've done a week's worth of lurking on these boards and have noticed that full-on scopes are the prevailing trend, though I feel more set on a Russian RCO or scope (one which attaches to the side-rail) such as the PK-AS or PK-A. Input on why or why not this preference may be flawed would be appreciated. My intention is to eventually turn this into a poor-man's battle rifle (after leaving Commie-fornia), without turning it into a grotesque tacti-cool contraption.

Edited by tawm

The case denting is normal, its actually hitting the edge of the dust cover on ejection, nothing to worry about, but you can use automobile door edge trim to "fix" it.

I have no experience with the russian optics, so cant help you there, I use a Texas Weapons Systems Beryl rail on my 308, love it, and a cheap red dot, don't love it so much.

Good price on the Wolf BTW.

1) GREAT PRICE on the Wolf. the cheapest 308 i can find around here is $400/1000rounds.

2) as said earlier, case denting is normal.

3) the reason i have a scope on my .308 and a red-dot on my 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 is becasue of the round, i would use the other two for closer-range shooting, whereas the 308 i would use for longer-distance shooting, where a scope would outperform a red-dot

Outstanding input gentlemen, thank you. Part of me still wants a red dot "just to be different", but then again the recoil is such that it takes a comparatively long time to reacquire a target--compared to firing from the Trijicon ACOG RCO that our service rifles use, which are also in my opinion relatively poor choices for the much-ballyhooed "combat marksmanship" portion of the Marine Corps marksmanship course of fire. Given that, I'll probably check out a PSO scope, though I've heard the tolerances on them are a bit rough (a few clicks moves the crosshair a huge amount of space).

Edited by tawm

The PSOP is different for sighting in than the regular western scopes. The tolerances are good. You first use the regular knobs to get close than use the fine adjustment on top of both knobs to fine tune it. Each time you use the top part you must unscrew the 2 screws but not take them out, then adjust and tighten down the screws, shoot and repeat until desired result.

$4 Range fee? In so-cal? Where the h*** is this at?, No seriously where? heh....

Iron Sights on Airport Rd in Oceanside gave me a military discount. I think it may have been more. Also, Camp Pendleton's pistol range is supposedly 4 bucks--gonna check it out next weekend.

I resent any of these no steel cased bullet rules, not to mention the "No kalishnikov Style Rifles" requirements at some of the places I've been. If this is the case I have no regret in taking my business and firing my guns somewhere else.

Perhaps another stupid question but, is replacing the stock of my Saiga with an ACE stock that comes with a pistol grip illegal in California? I would assume so, but I talked to an LEO and he said that it's a "gray area".

A gray area huh. Nice. God I hate this state.