Ion Bond???

Has anyone had Ion Bond applied to a firearm? I have found a lot of technical info about it, but very little useful, layman's information about whether it is worth the cost; does it really hold up; does it protect better than say, cerakote?

(Besides, we need something to discuss other than the strategy, or lack thereof, pertaining to marketing Saiga mags and whether it is wise to bite the financial hand that helps feed you.)

WJ

• Like 1

Has anyone had Ion Bond applied to a firearm? I have found a lot of technical info about it, but very little useful, layman's information about whether it is worth the cost; does it really hold up; does it protect better than say, cerakote?

(Besides, we need something to discuss other than the strategy, or lack thereof, pertaining to marketing Saiga mags and whether it is wise to bite the financial hand that helps feed you.)

WJ

There is some good information specifically pertinent to firearm coating that is Ion Bond, called DiamonsBlack Ionbond.

check out this pdf : http://www.springerprecision.com/art/DiamondBLACKSpecs.pdf

Edited by Modern Warfare

For what it is worth,my best friend has had his AR barrel(really crazy dimpled Lilja Recce barrel)and his bolt carrier done with it.He works for a very well known firearms manufacturer(PM if you need details)and shoots this rifle a LOT.Does Magpul dynamic classes with it frequently.He really likes it.He has said that the coating on the bolt carrier "self lubricates" and the gun will run dirtier since he shoots the gun suppressed most of the time.

We are going shooting tomorrow and I will take pics of the rifle for you if you would like.Hope this helps.

For what it is worth,my best friend has had his AR barrel(really crazy dimpled Lilja Recce barrel)and his bolt carrier done with it.He works for a very well known firearms manufacturer(PM if you need details)and shoots this rifle a LOT.Does Magpul dynamic classes with it frequently.He really likes it.He has said that the coating on the bolt carrier "self lubricates" and the gun will run dirtier since he shoots the gun suppressed most of the time.

We are going shooting tomorrow and I will take pics of the rifle for you if you would like.Hope this helps.

Yes, if it is not too much trouble, I'd like to see pictures. I would like to try Ion Bond on one of my S-12s.

WJ

I have Ion Bond on a custom 1911 that I had built. Springer Precision did the job and the stuff is unbelieveable. You can literally sharpen a knife on it then wipe the knife steel off the surface. After I shoot a match, I just wipe off the outside and the gun looks like new. I shot single stack for a year with it and there is not a mark on the slide. (I kept the frame stainless for the 2 tone look)

post-22191-12630128181969_thumb.jpg

I double checked with Robert and he confirmed that my Saiga has all Ion Bonded steel parts except the receiver which is ceramic coated silver. This gun has been heavily used, over 5000 rounds, and shows some wear on parts where I have used tools. Otherwise looks like new. The Ion Bond has held up much better than the ceramic coating.

post-22191-12630129080047_thumb.jpg

Doug

• Like 1

is this something you can do your self or do you need to have it done?

also does anyone have an idea of the cost to finish a desert eagle mk xix in this stuff?

This is not something that you can do at home. Ion Bond no longer takes direct work, you have to go through a third party. Springer Precision is the guy who did my work and he is pretty quick. http://www.springerprecision.com/

Doug.