gun wont fire the second time

Ok i took my saiga 12 out for a test run and it would shoot the first round cycle the next but you could not pull the trigger to fire the chambered round. I have a g2 trigger group with the spring instead of the wire spring, i have a gas fixer plug and the recoil spring from ccs. I tried several types of shells all cycled, but it would not fire the second shell unless you ejected it and loaded another round any ideas?

thanks for the reply

Ok i took my saiga 12 out for a test run and it would shoot the first round cycle the next but you could not pull the trigger to fire the chambered round. I have a g2 trigger group with the spring instead of the wire spring, i have a gas fixer plug and the recoil spring from ccs. I tried several types of shells all cycled, but it would not fire the second shell unless you ejected it and loaded another round any ideas?

thanks for the reply

Did you check and make sure the hammer spring ends were firmly seated over the trigger? One of mine was off to the side after my first conversion, and I had to push the trigger forward to reset it. After popping off the dust cover, I spotted the problem immediately.

Look around inside and see if anything looks amiss.

Many possible causes.

Is the disconnector spring in place?

Did the gun work OK before conversion?

Unload, remove cover and rack he action. The trigger should catch the hammer. Do it again with the trigger pulled. The disconnector should catch and hold the hammer. If not, the disconnector spring is missing or too short (Some TAPCO disconnectors had the spring hole bored too deeply) Release trigger. The hammer should now be held by the trigger.

Check these things first. There is a post about defective disconnectors on this Forum.

Edited by Etek

Is your trigger resetting?

The only reason I ask is that if the carrier came back & chambered a round, & the FCG is properly installed I can't see how it would not release the hammer... Unless the spring walked off the right trigger leg toward the center & the trigger isn't resetting.

Edit: looks like someone beat me to it. :D

Edited by Paulyski

Many possible causes.

Unload, remove cover and rack he action. The trigger should catch the hammer. Do it again with the trigger pulled. The disconnector should catch and hold the hammer. If not, the disconnector spring is missing or too short (Some TAPCO disconnectors had the spring hole bored too deeply) Release trigger. The hammer should now be held by the trigger.

when you try to pull the trigger the second time you cant even pull it its that tight that what it was doing today

Edited by crafty101

Many possible causes.

when you try to pull the trigger the second time you cant even pull it its that tight that what it was doing today but when you have the cover off and pull it by hand it pulls fine.

thanks for the reply

Your trigger is obviously resetting if you can manually eject the spent shell, and fire the next shell.

Sounds like you just aren't getting any gas to the piston, and the shells are too low powered to push the bolt back.

A fixer plug only works if you have sufficient gas to begin with.

It could be a number of things, but from the description it sounds like a gas system problem.

WS

Edited by WaffenSchmied

Everything looks good in the receiver. Can you pull the gas plug, and get a shot of the gas vents between the barrel and the piston chamber? Also, are you using a factory piston (puck) or an aftermarket puck?

using an after market puck but they look just alike.

Just to be sure, put the factory puck back in before your next test fire. Also, leave your factory gas plug on setting two. Setting one effectively cuts off the gas, and for break in you will need all the gas the gun is capable of directing to the piston.

Don't worry about the trunnion in the rear, unless you are using something crazy like magnum turkey loads, or you have had someone weld the back -- which can anneal and soften the trunnion.

WS

Just to be sure, put the factory puck back in before your next test fire. Also, leave your factory gas plug on setting two. Setting one effectively cuts off the gas, and for break in you will need all the gas the gun is capable of directing to the piston.

Don't worry about the trunnion in the rear, unless you are using something crazy like magnum turkey loads, or you have had someone weld the back -- which can anneal and soften the trunnion.

WS

Ok thanks ill try again tomorrow if it dont rain thanks for your help and ill let you know what happens

WS

Ok thanks ill try again tomorrow if it dont rain thanks for your help and ill let you know what happens

Good enough.

WS

thanks for the reply

Your trigger is obviously resetting if you can manually eject the spent shell, and fire the next shell.

Sounds like you just aren't getting any gas to the piston, and the shells are too low powered to push the bolt back.

A fixer plug only works if you have sufficient gas to begin with.

It could be a number of things, but from the description it sounds like a gas system problem.

WS

:unsure:

I am under the impression that his post noted that everything is working fine except the trigger will not release the hammer.

But then again I could be wrong.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

Sounds like the disconnect spring is not in place if it will fire the first and not reset. When you put the trigger together did you put the small coil spring in the hook before you put the the sleeve through the trigger? The spring is very small and looks like it came out of a pen.

post-9063-12635983551737_thumb.jpg

I had a local gunsmith do it which he has done alot of these conversions.

Well, if he's local -- that's good. If the gun was cycling before he did the conversion, it should cycle now. If it doesn't cycle when you test it tomorrow, I suggest you take it back to him and let him know you expect it to be right.

No one who pays good money to have a conversion done should put up with a converted gun that doesn't cycle. And, if the guy is experienced at conversions you have every reason to expect that the gun performs as it should.

WS

If it does the same thing tomorrow, if the trigger doesn't pull, see if you can push the trigger forward a touch & then try to pull it again before you manually cycle another round in.

This is what I meant by "resetting" earlier. some times the mainspring can give you trigger trouble by not pushing the trigger forward all the way between shots.

If it does the same thing tomorrow, if the trigger doesn't pull, see if you can push the trigger forward a touch & then try to pull it again before you manually cycle another round in.

This is what I meant by "resetting" earlier. some times the mainspring can give you trigger trouble by not pushing the trigger forward all the way between shots.

I was recently a victim of the same problem. for me it was started when the old tri wire mainspring had weekend and no longer had the force to overcome the disconnector and reset. my fix was as simple as replacing the spring. I also found out in some cases the hooks on the mainspring can slip inside the trigger causing those problems.