Hello guys, this will be my first AK and it's a tough choice for me. I want something a little accurate (less than 100 yards hehe) and cheap to shoot. I considered the the 223 because I already own an ar-15. I was thinking that I can just own just one type of ammo. As for the 5.45, it's cheaper to shoot. The thing that worry me is the future availability of the ammo. Please give me some of your opinion. Gun show is this weekend :)

Thanks,

I have had the same question, I have decided to go with the 5.45, reasons? I, like you, have a 223, mine in Mini 14, I decided I want a 5.45 for the cheap ammo, more shooting= better shooting. If I didn't already have a 223, then I would buy a Saiga 223.

Well if you have 223 then it might be wise to go with the 223 instead of 5.45...just depends on what your thought was. Want an AK reliability platform in the same caliber as current AR makes ammo simple. Get the 5.45 buy 1,000's of rounds and hope they last...whatever. Both firearms rock.

if 5.45 ammo dries up some comercial company will produce it at a price simular to .223, and many have already started. THe ammo savings are great, and even if/when it does dry up it will still be affordable- though probably have to order it on the internet.. which I do for all my ammo soon