Break-in for .223

Qualify "Break-In". The first time I received my saiga, I did what I normally do to a new gun.

1. Pull it apart and clean it real good.

2. Inspect it

3. Put it all back together and lube/grease the weapon

4. Get some ammo and go shoot the darn thing

Granted, I didn't shoot the weapon until the barrel turned red; but I would never do that anyway. I probably shot about 70 rounds that first time. I was using that time to see how it shot with iron sights and to sight in a reflex sight. The 2nd time I went shooting, I shot about 60 rounds. Testing magazines. And then, the 3rd time was yesterday morning; I shot another 60-70 rounds for more magazine testing.

But if you're asking if accuracy and such will change as it's been fired a few time? Yes, that is normal. Accuracy does change from a brand new gun and a gun that's had a few hundred rounds through it. Also, ejection, extraction, and feeding will also change with a brand new gun and magazine. They will change as the weapon breaks in. If you're asking if there is something special you need to do to a new gun; or somehow treat it different; the answer is no. Just shoot it and have fun. Clean it and lube like you will for any gun you own. Just realize that initially, you might have some accuracy, feeding, ejection, type issues for the first few hundred rounds. FWIW; I've had 0 (zero) issues with my siaga .223 from shot #1 til now. But it is possible that it could until it's broken in.

Qualify "Break-In". The first time I received my saiga, I did what I normally do to a new gun.

1. Pull it apart and clean it real good.

2. Inspect it

3. Put it all back together and lube/grease the weapon

4. Get some ammo and go shoot the darn thing

Granted, I didn't shoot the weapon until the barrel turned red; but I would never do that anyway. I probably shot about 70 rounds that first time. I was using that time to see how it shot with iron sights and to sight in a reflex sight. The 2nd time I went shooting, I shot about 60 rounds. Testing magazines. And then, the 3rd time was yesterday morning; I shot another 60-70 rounds for more magazine testing.

But if you're asking if accuracy and such will change as it's been fired a few time? Yes, that is normal. Accuracy does change from a brand new gun and a gun that's had a few hundred rounds through it. Also, ejection, extraction, and feeding will also change with a brand new gun and magazine. They will change as the weapon breaks in. If you're asking if there is something special you need to do to a new gun; or somehow treat it different; the answer is no. Just shoot it and have fun. Clean it and lube like you will for any gun you own. Just realize that initially, you might have some accuracy, feeding, ejection, type issues for the first few hundred rounds. FWIW; I've had 0 (zero) issues with my siaga .223 from shot #1 til now. But it is possible that it could until it's broken in.

Thanks @christcorp, I figured as much from all the reading if done but it never hurts to ask.

Glad to hear that yours is doing well.

BTW, what's been you're favorite magazine for it so far?

Edited by Smudley

Well, the surefire has been good. No problems whatsoever. But they are a little pricey. Most places; $39.99; however, you can get them from mississippiautoarms.com for $28. I've done some recent tests with the Promags. If you have membership at sportsmansguide.com ; you can get them for $11.25 if you buy an 8 pack. if you're not a member, they cost $12.50 each. The ONLY reported problem with those, is the bullet guide tab tends to break off. But many people have realized that if you file or grind the tab down a little, it makes them more sturdy and less likely to break. I haven't used those much, but what little I have, they've worked fine.

Eventually, I might go with an AR-15 mag adapter. The one I recommend is the one made by renegade. It's $120 (shipped); but if you have a lot of AR-15 magazines, you'll save the cost of buying magazines. But if all you care about is having a few magazines, then the surefires are definitely the way to go. They are made specifically for the saiga and they work flawlessly. mike....

Depends if you want to reload or not. Locally, while on christmas vacation, I found a local gun shop that had PMC on sale for $6.75 a box of 20. But if you don't care about reloading, then sportsmansguide has it for about $5.50 a box for russian steel case. Cheaperthandirt has the same for about $4.50 a box of 20. That's about the going rate. And both those vendors are very reliable. And in my opinion, better than ammoman. Ammunitiontogo isn't bad, but I like sportsmansguide and cheaperthandirt. Cheaper, fast deliever, and good companies.

I'll probably be debated, but I'm not the type that does this "Couple drops here" type of gun owner. Mind you, I've been shooting and owning guns for more than 30 years. 21 years of that in the military. This is how I do it.

1. I open the top dust cover, and spray a lube like CLP onto the trigger mechanism.

2. I put lithium grease on mechanical metal to metal pieces like the charging handle and ejection cover. Basically, if it's metal against metal, I put a thin film of lithium grease. Basically, put some on your finger, then wipe a light film on those pieces.

3. After I've field stripped the rifle for cleaning, and pulled the main spring/bolt/gas rod out, I will lightly spray those parts with CLP also.

4. Then, with it all back together, I'll manually cycle the weapon a number of times to see if there's places that have moving parts or metal to metal that I missed. If it's a moving part, I use CLP. If it's a mechanical metal on metal, I use lithium grease. Total time to clean and lube an AK variant: 3 minutes.

It's about the easiest gun in the world to clean and lube. At least in my opinion.

• Like 2

I'll probably be debated, but I'm not the type that does this "Couple drops here" type of gun owner. Mind you, I've been shooting and owning guns for more than 30 years. 21 years of that in the military. This is how I do it.

1. I open the top dust cover, and spray a lube like CLP onto the trigger mechanism.

2. I put lithium grease on mechanical metal to metal pieces like the charging handle and ejection cover. Basically, if it's metal against metal, I put a thin film of lithium grease. Basically, put some on your finger, then wipe a light film on those pieces.

3. After I've field stripped the rifle for cleaning, and pulled the main spring/bolt/gas rod out, I will lightly spray those parts with CLP also.

4. Then, with it all back together, I'll manually cycle the weapon a number of times to see if there's places that have moving parts or metal to metal that I missed. If it's a moving part, I use CLP. If it's a mechanical metal on metal, I use lithium grease. Total time to clean and lube an AK variant: 3 minutes.

It's about the easiest gun in the world to clean and lube. At least in my opinion.

Man all the stuff you are doing, are you going to re-write the Saiga manual with hints tips...lol you are a man on a mission...I love it and the insights you have given. Thanks..

Edited by DJ Big Dog