$5 or $200 transfer?

Clear something up for me.............

OK, so if you buy an SBR/SBS that is "manufactured" and sold to you in that configuration, you only pay a $5 transfer fee, right? Such as the Serbu Super Shorty. But if you have one of your own AR lowers turned into an NFA lower, you pay a $200 transfer, because you're "manufacturing" an SBR, right?

Am I right so far? If so............

Does buying a complete NFA item (such as a Tromix or Red Jacket SBS) mean you only pay a $5 transfer fee, being that they have the manufacturing licenses and are the ones "manufacturing" the SBS and then selling it to you? (Not talking about sending in your own gun for the work, obviously)

Also, does buying an already manufactured SBR/SBS mean you don't have to have your info engraved on it, as you're not the one who "manufactured" it? Just the company's info who did would have to be on it, right?

How far off am I?

How far off am I?

Way off.

$5 transfers only apply to AOWs that are made by someone else (the Serbu Super Shorty is considered an AOW)

If you want to install your own short barrel on your PGO-from-the-factory shotty, you'll pay the $200 "making tax".

SBR/SBS transfers have always been $200.

Also, does buying an already manufactured SBR/SBS mean you don't have to have your info engraved on it, as you're not the one who "manufactured" it? Just the company's info who did would have to be on it, right?

The manufacturer is the only one required to engrave their info. This could be Tromix or Red Jacket if they just ran off a few, or you, if the form 1 is in your name. Edited by nalioth

How far off am I?

Way off.

$5 transfers only apply to AOWs that are made by someone else (the Serbu Super Shorty is considered an AOW)

If you want to install your own short barrel on your PGO-from-the-factory shotty, you'll pay the $200 "making tax".

SBR/SBS transfers have always been $200.

The manufacturer is the only one required to engrave their info. This could be Tromix or Red Jacket if they just ran off a few, or you, if the form 1 is in your name.

Yeah, I knew for fact that the Serbu was only a $5 transfer, but I didn't know it was because it was an AOW.

Thanks for the info. That pretty much clears it up.