Surefire Mags and Magazine well

I just got my Saiga 12 back from my gunsmith.

First of all I can't believe how much he had to modify the "Surefire" mags to fit into the "Surefire" magazine well. Geez! On top of all that the mags don't insert as easily and as straight as the video shows. They don't just "drop" out. Maybe they mags haven't been modified enough? Wouldn't you think that for that kind of money the modifications would work without removing the ribs, tapering the top and removing the front lug and straightening the front wall? And removing the lug screw? Perhaps I bought the wrong modification?

Needless to say I am disappointed. Maybe AGPs are better?

First of all I can't believe how much he had to modify the "Surefire" mags to fit into the "Surefire" magazine well. Geez! On top of all that the mags don't insert as easily and as straight as the video shows. They don't just "drop" out. Maybe they mags haven't been modified enough? Wouldn't you think that for that kind of money the modifications would work without removing the ribs, tapering the top and removing the front lug and straightening the front wall? And removing the lug screw? Perhaps I bought the wrong modification?

Sounds like your gunsmith did not modify the mags correctly. You could always contact the manufacture or myself for help if you are having a problem instead of this.

Sounds like your gunsmith did not modify the mags correctly. You could always contact the manufacture or myself for help if you are having a problem instead of this.

Greg-

Can you explain what mods are needed?

I've been looking at the JT magwell, but I can't find any documentation on what must be done to the mags...

BJB

You must remove the front lip and the top side ribs so the top section of the magazine is smooth to allow for straight in insertion. Ususally takes 30 seconds on a belt sander or a few minutes with a dremel tool. It is not hard. Complete instructions with a picture are included.

With any custom modification to a firearm, always give the gunsmith who did the work a chance to fix any problems before you make a public statement. Its only fair. I have several custom guns, pistols, rifle and shotgun and not every one was perfect at first. A true gunsmith wants to make it perfect, give him the chance. If he can't or won't then blast away in the forums.

Doug

If the magazine is modified the way the directions and pictures describe there should be no problem. Of course if its done WRONG it won't work right.

I have not read or heard of ANYBODY having a problem with the Mag Well when installed properly.

It helps to grind the lower rings just inside the mag insert area of the receiver. This makes mag entry a bit easier. It would have nothing to do with ejecting the mag.

If your Gunsmith removed too much material from the mag it can usually be fixed by re-building the area with epoxy or JB Weld.

As far as I can tell, my Gunsmith who is very competent,(built 3 custom rifles and several pistols for me) has done what the instructions have stated.

My gripe is why aren't there better made mags on the market that you don't have to sand down, taper etc, to make them work. I thought this was a "combat", "Personal Protection Weapon"? It's supposed to work every time, smoothly????

CSS, others thanks for your input I will check the mods and see if I can get the mags to work. I'll keep y'all informed.

Rusty