Light rust on Twister puck.

Are you sure it is rust? The twisterpucs are stainless steel and should not be rusting. I know stainless isnt rust proof, but I wonder if it is just not carbon and dirt from shooting. Have you shot any corrosive ammo (Do they even make corrosive shotgun ammo).

But to answer your question, I run twisterpucs in both of my shotguns and I have never seen rust. The pucs also have never seen any oil. When I clean them, I use only hot soap and water.

Are you sure it is rust? The twisterpucs are stainless steel and should not be rusting. I know stainless isnt rust proof, but I wonder if it is just not carbon and dirt from shooting. Have you shot any corrosive ammo (Do they even make corrosive shotgun ammo).

But to answer your question, I run twisterpucs in both of my shotguns and I have never seen rust. The pucs also have never seen any oil. When I clean them, I use only hot soap and water.

The carpenter steel handbook staes any steel with 10% or more chromium is considered stainless steel

Most tappets I have seen are 400 series or 17-4 PH which has enough carbon to heat treat to a 48 - maybe 54 rockwell C This gives them a tough wear surface and they can rust in certain situations such as moisture or certain chemicals. I believe at least 1 vendor offers theirs hardchrome plated which I believe is best.

factory tappet is carbon steel w/ hard chrome.

I don't think that its just carbon its light brown and I scrapped it with a pick and it didn't come off. It works just fine I was just wondering if it was common. It did sit for at least a couple months full of powder residue from me testing my 15 round mags.

Most likely, the steel shavings from the inside of your gas block are rusting.

I don't think that its just carbon its light brown and I scrapped it with a pick and it didn't come off. It works just fine I was just wondering if it was common. It did sit for at least a couple months full of powder residue from me testing my 15 round mags.

steel shavings? From the plug rubbing on the sleeve in the gas chamber?

I didn't have any rust spots on my stock or tromix plug.

The stock plug, tromix plug, and the KA plug that was out, were not made with saw teeth in the sides designed to cut through material. Just a thought. Most of us only have one gas block per gun and not many spare gas blocks out there for sale.

I bought some King Armory plugs for mine when they were available, wish I had bought more. Ive never had an issue.

steel shavings? From the plug rubbing on the sleeve in the gas chamber?

I didn't have any rust spots on my stock or tromix plug.

• Like 1

Anyone else get any surface rust on theirs?

If you want we will gladly exchange puc.

aloha Esteban

Thanks Esteban but I will just keep this one. It is just a light coating, more of a discoloring, I was just asking if it was common.

do not use steel wool on stainless, it's the fastest way to embed ferrous particles and make it rust. clean with mild cleaners or soak in the tartest fruit juice you can find (aka citrus passivation)

I like the citrus passivation!!

I build and modify orthopedic tools ie. cutting blocks, retractors, drill guides and after finishing they go to nitric acid passivation to remove any iron from the machining operations.

Another idea is to use scotchbrite.

Edited by saigatechusa