New Member - New Saiga

New member here - just joined yesterday and did quite a bit of thread reading last night. I just brought home a used (but apparently nearly unfired) Saiga 5.45 x 39. I've been interested in this caliber for a while, have been considering purchasing a gun or upper when this one showed up as a trade-in at the local gunshop. I've got a 4-pack of plum Ak-74 mags and a couple lots of ammo on order, looks like I need a bullet guide and probably will also be looking at a replacement front sight post with flash hider and maybe eventually a suppressor.

Congrats.. Make sure before you POP those 30 round mags in you have 4 (or more) US made parts or you will violate 922r laws.

Just got mine yesterday.

I'm currently doing a conversion/restoration to put the AK grip back (where it was designed for) and be legally able to run the 20-30 round COMBLOCK style mags. There is pics also and some parts listed you will need.

This is my 2nd Saiga (5.45) so I have 1 done up already (7.62x39). See left pic.. <<<<

Thanks, guys. I joined because I saw all the great information here - but this forum software is a bit new to me. I've got quite a few military arms and love to shoot them, mostly with iron sights. I've been shooting the 7.62x39 for years and was curious about the 5.45 x 39. Thanks for the heads-up on the 922r issue, YWHIC, we usually don't think about those things out here in Idaho, but I wouldn't want to get into any non compliance issues in today's political environment! That "restoration" in your avatar is a beautiful weapon. Looking forward to the arrival of my sardine can of 53 gr and 500 rounds of Wolf 70 gr bullets so I can put this neat little gun through its paces.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new acquisition.

Thanks, tritium. Okay, being a newb, I did just spend a bit of time in the 922 section, and I think I've reduced my confusion a bit. I don't need 4 US parts to use AK-74 mags, but I do have to watch out because my Saiga starts out at 14 import parts, So I have to make sure I swap on a 1 to 1 to stay under 15?

If your Saiga is stock with a black 'sporter' stock and does not have 4 US made parts you will be in deep do-doo.

You NEED 4 US made parts to be 922r compliant.. take a peek at my thread.. please.

If your rifle looks like Pic #1 you cannot run ANY foreign made over 10 round mags. You can run Surefires or Thermolds or Promags (ughhh)..

Well, I've purchased and installed a Dinzag bullet guide. Still waiting for my first shipment of ammo (scheduled to arrive tomorrow) so I can shoot this little bugger for accuracy. Although I didn't intend to, it looks like I'll be converting it to an AK-74 to maintain 922r compliance and just ordered a full suite of conversion goodies from Dinzag.