Place to shoot in Illinois/Wisconsin

^Keep in mind Arlington Heights is in Cook County which has an "Assault Weapons Ban" and the S-12 is illegal to have in your possession in Cook County. I live in Cook. I do have an S-12. But, I live less than a mile from the county line and mine is stored outside the county. There is a town that I know of in Cook County that does not follow the AWB because of their Home Rule and that is Des Plains. They sell Saiga-12s at a gun shop\indoor range there and you can bring yours to shoot. The place is Maxon Shooters Supply and Indoor Range. You won't be able to use a clay launcher and they have no rapid fireng posted. Apparently you can bring AR's but no AK or AK variants(I don't know why, but a friend of mine brought his AK there and they yelled at him when he was shooting it), S-12 not included. Just be careful transporting it through Cook County to get to Des Plains.

The only other 2 places I have been to shoot the S-12 are the Bristol Ranges in WI and McMiller Sports Center in WI. Bristol has dumb rules. I got yelled at by a woman range official for loading my 1911 7 round mags fully instead of only 5 rounds(all 12 of my 7 round mags were loaded before I got to the range). 1st time I ever went to Bristol a range master hung out with me and a friend who brought his AK, nothing was said about my 1911 7 round mags then. Then when I pulled out my S-12 and went through a 5 round mag I got yelled at for not only loading it with 1 round. I was never told that was the rule. I wouldn't waste my money($30 range fee per visit) at Bristol ranges again. They also do not allow rapid firing. McMiller to my knowledge does not allow rapid firing, dunno about limits on loading mags though.

Your best bet if you want unrestricted shooting is KAP Guns by Rockford, in Loves Park IL. It is owned and operated by a guy names Kenny. I spoke with him in October about allowing me to rapid fire, bump fire, etc the S-12 and his range times and rules. This is what he told me.

I have 2 range rules #1 don't shoot anyone & #2 All spent brass is the property of the property owner. It is a private range I built on my property but it is hunting season now so until next spring it is closed.

http://www.kapguns.com/

Kenny can be found on the illinoiscarry.com forums under the user name Kenny.

I plan to head out to his place with my S-12 as soon as he opens up. DrediKnight get in touch with me if you're going to go out there, maybe we could meet up for some shooting!

Edited by Juice

I'm so goddamned glad I moved away from that part of the world..........

Stayed there for 13 years, living in Kenosha and working in Chicago. Arlington Heights, and Palos Hills..........

Don't know what I could've been thinking....No place for a Southern boy..........

Worst place in the country for a gun owner.........

Edited by Jeaux E

i've never been to any of the ranges around here (i'm about a mile from the il/wi border in lake co il)

but you might wanna check out these places:

bass pro shops in gurnee il - they have a no rapid fire rule but don't care how many you load in the mags (slugs only)

richmond hunting club route 173 in richmond il - http://www.richmondhuntclub.com/content/

i heard mcmiller was shut down last year by the DNR and i'm not sure if it's opened back up.

I'll second the range in Ottowa, IL. Last summer I shot skeet there. They have 5 throwers mounted at waist height. The range does not sell anything. You'll need/must bring everything to shoot and eat and drink. No ammo limits in the mags was enforced.

There is a girlie club, Silver Slipper Saloon, in the area too. It's been recommended but I've not been there (yet). Only one eatery is some what close and is best described as "yankee faux cajun."

Here in MO. I went to Busch Conservation Area to shoot and they mandate only one shell in the gun at a time. That means no doubles and no international shooting (follow up shot allowed).

http://mdc.mo.gov/areas/ranges/busch/

i heard mcmiller was shut down last year by the DNR and i'm not sure if it's opened back up.
It was open in the summer. I went there a couple times. I read some stuff about the possibility of it getting closed. That would really suck since I just discovered it this year and its right by my folks place. They have clay shooting and I was gonna take my S-12 there this summer and give it a try. Edited by Juice
It was open in the summer. I went there a couple times. I read some stuff about the possibility of it getting closed. That would really suck since I just discovered it this year and its right by my folks place. They have clay shooting and I was gonna take my S-12 there this summer and give it a try.

i guess it was just shut down for a little bit and is under new management.

here's their new website

http://www.mcmillershootingcenter.com/default.htm

i had this place in my bookmarks also and have been meaning to check it out.

Wisconsin Sportsman's Association, Inc.

16010 Durand Avenue

Union Grove, WI 53182

(262) 878-9999

http://wisportsman.com/Home_Page.html

Edited by Snoofer
It was open in the summer. I went there a couple times. I read some stuff about the possibility of it getting closed. That would really suck since I just discovered it this year and its right by my folks place. They have clay shooting and I was gonna take my S-12 there this summer and give it a try.

i guess it was just shut down for a little bit and is under new management.

here's their new website

http://www.mcmillershootingcenter.com/default.htm

i had this place in my bookmarks also and have been meaning to check it out.

Wisconsin Sportsman's Association, Inc.

16010 Durand Avenue

Union Grove, WI 53182

(262) 878-9999

http://wisportsman.com/Home_Page.html

McMiller is ok, if you can put up with the range Nazis "one shot per second" rule and constant ceasefires which basically allow you to shoot for 5 minutes, and then take a 10 minute break to change targets, repeat. Gets old real fast, especially when you're trying to sight-in a Mosin Nagant 91/30 with an unfiled PU scope mount for the first time. <_<