Bolt will not close easily

I have finally converted my S12 and want to make all the finishing touches. I have followed the polishing tutorial and polished all of the friction surfaces on the bottom of the bolt, bolt head, feed ramp and FCG surfaces. I Still don't have the action working quite as smoothly as I'd like however...

My particular S12 seems to hang about 1/2-1" from fully closing when gently pushing the bolt and carrier forward. To find the main source of friction I disassembled the firearm and hand cycled ONLY the bolt and carrier, without the spring and guide rod. I found:

- Carrier seems to stick on the ejector's "hump" around the back end forcing the rear of the ejector down

- Bolt head does not sit flush against the barrel preventing the locking lugs from engaging without significant force pushing the bolt head into alignment

I have looked through various threads and polishing guides, but they don't seem to cover polishing to the extent that mine seems to need. I would love to send my S12 off to have a polish job done on the whole unit, but besides not being able to afford it, I'd prefer to learn to be proficient in repair and understanding of my own firearms. Does anyone have advice on more extensive polishing of the S12?

Specifically, what would benefit the bolt head and carrier? Thanks!

I would love to send my S12 off to have a polish job done on the whole unit, but besides not being able to afford it, I'd prefer to learn to be proficient in repair and understanding of my own firearms. Does anyone have advice on more extensive polishing of the S12?

Yeah, if you're basing it on this:

My particular S12 seems to hang about 1/2-1" from fully closing when gently pushing the bolt and carrier forward.

Don't polish anything.

These weapons are not made to be "gently caressed". More problems have been introduced by folks trying to fix what ain't broken than by actual "non functional guns".

Pull the bolt carrier all the way back and let it fly forward. Does the bolt lock up?

Take your Saiga to the range. When you shoot it, does the bolt lock up each cycle?

If the answer to the above questions is "yes", then quit being a pansy with your shotgun! It works fine! They're not meant for "gentle pushing".

Edited by nalioth

Come on now, you don't port and polish heads on a hot rod for nothing! :haha:

I mainly just concerned if it's not normal. If that is just the way they all work I can live with that, but if there is a way to make it more efficient during the cycling it might be worth it. It just seems like the front most face of the bolt is not sitting properly when it is all the way forward, requiring more energy to get the bolt to lock up.

Thanks for the heads up, It goes bang every time, only one FTE which was caused by a jagged edge/burr on the ejector slot. I polished that up nicely and it should never be an issue again. So maybe I'll just work on polishing it up for my vain, superficial purposes LOL

Edited by elementaltoad

nalioth knows AK weapons.... listen to him!

>>I mainly just concerned if it's not normal.

Your gun is totally normal!

Think about what happens when you fire a round...... the bolt & carrier go flying backwards and then the recoil springs send them flying back home to slam shut again. The gun is made to work like that...... no caressing or baby talk required! :)

sounds good, I just wanted a couple opinions before I finish up, I polished most edges and started finishing the bottom of the bolt. Looks like all that's left is a superficial shine up in that case. Thanks again guys. Pardon me if I seem stubborn, I just want to make absolute certain this is normal before I button up the project.

....I also like to make things shiny :angel:

Again, thanks for the advice, I'll try to get some pics when it's closer to finished.

Ok, so I smoothed some things out with a dremel taking my time making sure not to make any deep marks. I got the bolt shined up pretty well, I may leave it this way, trying to get a bit more polish out of it though. Anyone know what will give that "smooth as glass" appearance to these items? I used a emery wheel, but it seemed to leave light scratches of it's own that won't come out. I think that's about as close as I can get, without having it chromed.

DSCF0546.jpg

DSCF0558.jpg