I just stumbled on these really cool videos on another forum. The guy takes a torch, 1oz slug mold, and a little cast iron pot and turns 1oz #7.5 into 1oz low recoil slugs in only a couple minutes each.

They look great for a break action or a pump, but I wonder if they would cycle in an S-12 as the top of the shell is squared off and not rounded. If they don't get chopped up by the action, that looks like one hell of a money saver. 400 slugs for $150 anyone?

part 1 -

part 2 -

part 3 -

I think I might give this a try. Worst that can happen is a I turn around a sell the tools to a reloader if the shells get hung up on their way into the chamber..

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

It may work but use a shell that is made for 1oz shot it will have the powder load for the 1oz slug.Dont go with a light shot load and put a slug in it wont have the powder charge for that load.3/4 oz shot= 3/4 oz slug 1/2 oz shot=1/2 oz slug so on so on.

I also thought of adding a small plastic toy in with shot and calling them "Lucky Shots"!!!

Edit... Naturally any intruder shot with it would be allowed to keep his "toy suprise".

Edited by RobRez

I've reloaded that style of shell from emptys before. Even with a basic single stage your could reload them much faster and even cheaper, I don't know what scrap lead is running but back last year I think I was reloading for sub 10 cents a round for slugs. I'm thinking that I reloaded 2000+ slugs.

I also found a way to make short range tracers :D I stuffed newspaper in the front of the wad, the wad stays with the slug for about 20 yards so for 20 yards you have a trail of paper fragments. I'm thinking that if one was to glue the wad to the slug and the paper to the slug and wad, that the effect would be more reliable. The trick was not to break the petals on the wad that way it would hang with the slug longer. That is what has me thinking that gluing could help.

Please Note, I'm not qualified to say if this is safe or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnsjqwjc8DM