Shot my bulgy 74 last week, and it occurred to me that I need some optics as the iron sights just aren't cutting it for me. Any opinions on how to go about choosing something appropriate?

In what way are the irons not cutting it for you?

I like to train with both the irons and a red dot. Yesterday I was making easy standing headshots from 50 yards on a zombie target with the irons, and I also fared pretty well on the Appleseed AQT test. I'm not saying this to boast, just to illustrate that with some work you can get a lot out of the standard irons.

As for the red dot, my AK 74 has a PK-AS. A neat scope with a lot of advantages not only for CQB, but also for distance shooting. It is a very different paradigm though for a red dot scope, and I don't expect everyone would be able to get used to it.

Hey Jim. Been lookin at the Pk and was wondering what someone might find difficult to get use to. Never handled one so I dont know.

The version I have raises up directly from the side mount and sits about an inch and an eighth offset from the barrel. It is absolutely perfect for a left-handed shooter, but can be awkward for right-handed shooters. (I try to train both ways, but mostly right-handed). You can, with a fairly normal cheekweld, use your left eye for targeting through the scope while shooting from the right shoulder. Or, you can shoot with the right eye, but with a weak cheekweld. You can tilt the rifle slightly for a better cheekweld.

The advantages of the sight over others are the black dot and circle which are always available, and the elevation dial that gives you a huge amount of quick adjustability for shooting at various distances.

So the PK comes with an offset mount or can it be mounted to a rail?

There are three versions. One mounts to a Weaver rail, another has a mount that centers the scope I above the receiver, and the third (which I have) has a mount that is offset to the left.

Another advantage that I forgot to mention of this third version is that the irons are available without removing the scope. I leave the sight mounted and don't even take it off to clean the gun.

Edited by Jim Digriz

My vision is rather lacking, and I find the front sight to be overtly imprecise because of the shape. So would you consider the PK-AS to be superior to something like a Kobra sight? How is the PK-as at distance? (lets say 100 yards)

My vision is rather lacking, and I find the front sight to be overtly imprecise because of the shape. So would you consider the PK-AS to be superior to something like a Kobra sight? How is the PK-as at distance? (lets say 100 yards)

I haven't shot with the Kobra, but I don't like the fact that you have to pull the Kobra off to use the irons. The PK-AS has an elevation dial which allows a huge range of rapid adjustment. It also has the etched black dot and circle which are usable without the sight being turned on.

Sounds intriguing. Any idea what would be a good price to look for if I decide to pick one up?

Eastwave has them for under $300. Kalinka overcharges for these things. Tantal might have some in stock, but he didn't when I checked with him a couple of months ago.

The AK 47/74s are not designed to be an accurate distance rifle. It's designed to be effective out to 300 meters. In fact Soviet Doctrine had the troops trained to pray and spray on auto instead of well aimed shots on semi. You are better off training for proficiency on the irons and mounting a red dot for quicker sight acquisition. Larue's AK Irondot is an excellent choice as it replaces the rear iron sight with a mini red dot sight mount which integrates a built in rear iron sight in the mount which cowitnesses through the RDS. You can get a Burris Fastfire, Docter, and I think a J-Point as RDS options . Last I heard, the Burris rig is being put on backorder as Burris changed their design so Larue had to re-tool to offer a mount for it. The other sight options are a bit more expensive but available. A low powered magnified optic will help you see your target a little better, but isn't required with your rifle.