Sagia Conversions in NJ

my brother-in-law is a 23 year veteran detective in jersey city. he just told me that our brilliant Gov. Chris CHristie stated that new jersey cops make too much money and he is gonna cut their salaries. i might agree with him on some municipalities (very few actually) i fail to c how thats gonna help us. lets c >>> so we gonna get no new cops cause of the job freeze, the cops that we already have wont do as much cause they re not gettin paid enough and we practically dont have a right to protect ourselves cause of the stupid gun laws.... life is gettin better and better in NJ ...

PS oh yee and i almost forgot >>> he also gonna cut number of correction officers and let out "non-violent" thugs ... let the party begin (INSIDE AND OUTSIDE)

do u guys c any advantages of 7.62x39 over .308

or shud i even go down to 5.45 or .223

the reason i want to get 7.62x39 cause i already have SKS and figured i;ll try to keep everytin in the same caliber so i dont have to buy different ammo for each rifle.

Depends. They are four very different calibers. Also, what each caliber will do depends on what kind of bullet, what weight (grain) bullet, and what kind of target, etc.

Check out www.brassfetcher.com/oldindex.html they have a bunch of ballistics photos for 308, .223 and 5.45 with various loads

Also there is a video series on Youtube of 7.62x39 extensive ballistic testing of commercial Wolf and Bear ammo.

Me personally, I have a x39 and a 5.45. I would say 7.62x39 is the best "all around" judging by recoil, performance, ammo cost, etc.

As far as practical power goes, all depends and a little hard to compare. .223 and 5.45 are around the same power ballpark with differing performance, 7.62x39 packs a little more power than both of those. 308 is a full power rifle cartridge (the other 3 are intermediate) and has more power than the rest of them.

While ammo and magazines may cost a little more with a 308, that's one hell of a powerful round and you really can't go wrong there either. A rifle set up like GunnyR's is pretty light and handy and packs a lot of power

5.45 is a little more obscure on ammo/magazines but the Silver bear is good ammo at a low price and if you don't mind cleaning corrosive, the military surplus shit is damn cheap. The round also performs very well

I am not much a fan of .223, I personally find it to be the lowest performing of the four in this type of rifle. It's a decent round and capable, don't get me wrong, but I think the .223 has a better home in platforms like AR-15's or bolt action rifles that can make better use of its accuracy out at 300, 400, etc. yards. But many people like it and if you already have an AR-15 that saves you the trouble of stocking two different ammo types, also it is very, very common and good ammo for .223 is everywhere

Really it's all up to you, take your time, read up on the various builds from (relatively) unbiased sources and see what fits you best IMO

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov
  • 2 weeks later...

tuktuk.. yes that would be legal in NJ with WELDED on brake.

Of course whatever dealer you went to (in NJ) may EYEBALL it and try to argue its an AK and banned...

you never know.. and it would SUCK for that to happen.. IMHO.009.gif

Most that buy them over in NJ in stock form. and convert them after they get them home.. just sayin..

Maybe Klassy will jump in about current gun shops in NJ.

Shore Shot in Lakewood or Brick Armory in Brick are about an hour and fifteen from you Tuktuk and will transfer compliant Saigas. Shore Shot charges $50 for transfer including NICS check I think that's the lowest price I've seen in state so far. Shore Shot had some nice guys there too they have many WASRs there etc and no problem with Saigas. Jim Flynn's in Glenn Gardner will also transfer compliant weapons as well. Not sure what he charges. I know Bullet Hole in Belleville will not deal with converted Saigas, I am not sure why. Though their price alone is a reason not to go.

You might want to ask Indyarms about how he attached that brake, the link says via set screw and he is a New Yorker (not sure their muzzle laws) his barrel might not be threaded at all in which case you could ask him to just take it off and keep it :) Or just weld it on for you like AA said.