Stupid gas tube...NEED HELP

I finished the conversion, but I can't put the piston (on the bolt) back into the gas tube. The bolt goes about half way, and won't go farther. Is the gas tube supposed to line up by itself, or do you have to move it some to get it in the right place? I put the spacer or whatever you want to call it from the Saiga gas tube onto the AK gas tube.

Maybe it's not the gas tube, but something else that's preventing the piston from going in. Any advice is appreciated.

OK, I got it on, but it seems to stick through half of the action. Meaning, I try to charge the handle and it sticks about half way back.

Also, I can't get the gas tube lever down. :(

Edited by Polak

Sounds like your gas tube may not be seated properly. There should be a noticeable CLICK when you have it seated, before you lock it down.

Seems to be all the way down, but I can't get the lever to go down. Also, I put on the spring or whatever you want to call it from the Saiga gas tube onto the AK tube.

Could that be the problem?

Sounds like your gas tube may not be seated properly. There should be a noticeable CLICK when you have it seated, before you lock it down.

Seems to be all the way down, but I can't get the lever to go down. Also, I put on the spring or whatever you want to call it from the Saiga gas tube onto the AK tube.

Could that be the problem?

No. that should not create any problem. Disassemble the rifle ( Remove bolt carrier ) and reseat the tube until you hear a click. Lock it down before re installing the bolt carrier.

Seems it wasn't the gas tube. When the bolt goes back, it rubs on the hammer. What can it be?

The hammer doesn't seem to hold on the disconnector.

Edited by Polak

Is this an OEM (stock) gas tube? Are you sure it fits? The gas tube might need fitting. Mine took quite a bit of fitting and filing! The gas tube must go all the way down and the latch needs to close. If not you have a clearance problem and need to fit it. One thing to remember, DO NOT FORCE the Latch!

Is this an OEM (stock) gas tube? Are you sure it fits? The gas tube might need fitting. Mine took quite a bit of fitting and filing! The gas tube must go all the way down and the latch needs to close. If not you have a clearance problem and need to fit it. One thing to remember, DO NOT FORCE the Latch!

The gas tube is not the problem. I took it off and found out it's the bolt rubbing on the hammer. I may have to do some fitting on the tube though because it is very tight.

Edited by Polak

im guessing you got the tube from CSS like i did (the vented ones are harder to come by now a days) i had to do some grinding on mine so it fits, my latch also did not close, i had to grind the top part of the tube so the latch closes securely. also there is no need to move that spacer thing from the stock gas tube to the new one, if you compare the new gas tube is slightly longer so that eliminates the need for that spring thing from the stock one. mine is on there rock tight

im guessing you got the tube from CSS like i did (the vented ones are harder to come by now a days) i had to do some grinding on mine so it fits, my latch also did not close, i had to grind the top part of the tube so the latch closes securely. also there is no need to move that spacer thing from the stock gas tube to the new one, if you compare the new gas tube is slightly longer so that eliminates the need for that spring thing from the stock one. mine is on there rock tight

Yes. I got the vented one from CSS. I may have to do some fitting too.

The hammer catches the disconnecter when the carrier is traveling rearward and the trigger is still pulled. When you take your finger off the trigger to reset the hammer catches the sear in your picture.

Thanks. That cleared it up for me. So I guess it's fine the way it is.

Now the gas tube needs some fitting, because the piston rubs somewhere.

Late jumping back in, but Blacktop is dead on with what he says about fitting non-Saiga gas tube. That's exactly what I had to do as well. Both, file carefully to fit and file carefully to ensure the angle at the upper part allowed the latch to close without undue stress.

do it carefully, like mentioned above dont over do it. the hardest part on mine was getting the gas tube to fit into the gun in the normal position. i had to do grinding all around the face just so it can go all the way down. doing the latch was the easy part. remove the gas tube from the gun and try inserting the bolt and carrier to see what is interfering. when i took the gun apart the first time it took a while till i knew how to get the carrier on the rails correctly so it can slide forward, if the carrier is misaligned the first thing that hits is the piston and it will not let it move any further. watch some videos on youtube to make sure your doing it right. let us know what happens

The problem was the star part of the tube. The piston was rubbing on it. After some persuasion, it works :) No more sticking.

As for the fitting. It takes some work to get it closed. I still have to work on the closing latch because it only went half way down after some grinding.

Anyway. Here she is with one of my 15 rounders in it :)

297t4y.jpg

2qi4fo4.jpg

Edited by Polak