Low Rise Side Mount

I heard the utg detachable model is priced great and returns to zero. They don't look bad but they would look alot better without that side rail. Nothing a dremel, file, and a little paint can't fix. I would look into the Texas weapon systems new dog leg scope rail with integrated rear peep sight. There is a thread either on this page or the next where Mav posted about modifying the old GEN one rail to fit on a tangless ak. I think it is titled tangless beryl or something to that effect. Once you find the post scroll down and check out the pictures of the new rail system by TWS. It will cost a little more but would be worth it in my opinion. It will give you an extended sight radius and a return to zero scope platform that is as low as you can get.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that everyone on here knocks the dust cover rails. I bought a UTG dust cover rail from CTD almost a year ago and I have not had to re-zero my scope once. I clean my gun after every use and that entails removing the dust cover obviously. The only thing negative I have to say about it is that when I bought it, the front tab that holds it in place under the rear sight leaf needed 2 whacks with a rubber mallet to give it a tighter hold. With the rear set screws tightened There is NO wobble or wiggle in the dust cover/scope at all. It has a peep through feature so Irons can still be used, It comes with rings and the rail is welded to the cover so there are no screws to come loose. All that for under $20.

The reason I bought the dust cover rail was because I bought a low rise side mount when I purchased my rifle and it BROKE OFF after one trip to the range! I didnt even get to finish zeroing my scope. Maybe I got lucky with mine or maybe everyone else was unlucky with theirs, but I love my cheap-o UTG dust cover rail. It is cheap, solid and holds zero. What more could you ask for?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/LargeImage.aspx?sku=AKS-020

It seems that everyone on here knocks the dust cover rails. I bought a UTG dust cover rail from CTD almost a year ago and I have not had to re-zero my scope once. I clean my gun after every use and that entails removing the dust cover obviously. The only thing negative I have to say about it is that when I bought it, the front tab that holds it in place under the rear sight leaf needed 2 whacks with a rubber mallet to give it a tighter hold. With the rear set screws tightened There is NO wobble or wiggle in the dust cover/scope at all. It has a peep through feature so Irons can still be used, It comes with rings and the rail is welded to the cover so there are no screws to come loose. All that for under $20.

The reason I bought the dust cover rail was because I bought a low rise side mount when I purchased my rifle and it BROKE OFF after one trip to the range! I didnt even get to finish zeroing my scope. Maybe I got lucky with mine or maybe everyone else was unlucky with theirs, but I love my cheap-o UTG dust cover rail. It is cheap, solid and holds zero. What more could you ask for?

A little tall, no?

i have a utg on my 308 and i hate it, it sits too low and i cant get my dust cover back on if i take it off and i cant take the mount off without an allen wrench and i dont really need the picitiny on the side of it. if anyone likes these mounts and wants to trade or buy one let me know. sorry to butt in on the post.

i reccomend one that is quick removal. i had a website with one that looks like onee from a psl, but with a rail on top, but my computer crashed.

Edited by BROWNEYE

A little tall, no?

A little. Until I got the CAA cheek riser. Now it is absolutely perfect. Manventureoutpost.com has the CAA cheek piece 2 pack for around $14.00 + shipping. As for removing it, I just bring a folding allen wrench set with me in my range bag. It does stay tight for a while just tightening the screws with my fingers but I still recommend bringing a set of allens with you. I have no complaints whatsoever about mine.

I was looking at this one: http://dpharms.com/ak47sideraillowprofilewquickrelease-p-338.html

Looks like a solid enough piece...anybody actually used it? I can't tell if it would center the scope over the receiver or not.

A friend of mine had one of those on his S12. His broke at the quick release lever in less then 3 times of taking it off the gun and putting it back on. He never even got a chance to shoot his gun with it installed. I would look into something like the Texas Weapon Systems dog leg rail. Your gonna pay a little more up front, but you get what you pay for. Plus it also gives you an extended sight radius for better accuracy with iron sights

I was looking at this one: http://dpharms.com/ak47sideraillowprofilewquickrelease-p-338.html

Looks like a solid enough piece...anybody actually used it? I can't tell if it would center the scope over the receiver or not.

Oh, and it does center the optic over the bore.

thanks for the input, Sapper1371USMC. I've been eyeballing the TWS dog leg rail...only reason I've held off is that he's developing a Gen II version that integrates the rail into the dust cover and has a latching mechanism in the rear. It's taken a while for him to engineer the latch, so I was starting to get a little impatient and was looking for some other options. Being that the side mount rail I just posted isn't all that great from what you've seen, I guess I'll keep waiting till the Gen II Dogleg comes out.

Semper Fi

A friend of mine had one of those on his S12. His broke at the quick release lever in less then 3 times of taking it off the gun and putting it back on. He never even got a chance to shoot his gun with it installed. I would look into something like the Texas Weapon Systems dog leg rail. Your gonna pay a little more up front, but you get what you pay for. Plus it also gives you an extended sight radius for better accuracy with iron sights

Oh, and it does center the optic over the bore.

I just strengthen that lever on my DHP though it never gave problems I could see its weak spot.

That Dog-leg being $130 for just a mount that removes your irons unless you pay $35 more for a peep that just isn't what the OP asked for in reasonable price unless I misunderstood. If price didn't matter of course then the TWS would be the one to have. So far DPH has stood behind their products should any problems arise. What happens a lot of times people get the mount adjustment fitting too tightly on the side rail so you really have put a lot of force on that lever to remove or install. Which reminds me I need to call them and find out what their policy is on parts.

Edited by Rhodes1968

That is the same mount that I had that the rail rattled apart from the body and the quick release lever broke. I also has to take a file to the inside track to get it to fit the side mount on my rifle. Maybe mine was just a factory defect, but I wouldn't recommend it.