Bought new saiga and it came with vented gas tube?!?!

I just got my saiga in the mail from centerfire, and it has 4 small vents where the gas tube meets the gas block. This is only strange to me because I ordered one from centerfire a couple months back and it had no vents. Both rifles have dimples and where made in 2009, though I don't know if the barrels are threaded. I was under the impression thAt vents where a mostly cosmetic feature that someone would pay for to look trick. But if they make a version of the rifle that comes with factory vents there must be some advantage. Do alot of these rifles come with vents??

Edited by callo

Same here. My '09 .223 came with vents which my previous Saigas don't have. Asked the same question here that you're asking. Apparently the AK design can be made with or without the vents and works equally well. Once the piston has left the block and moved into the gas tube, the gas can be vented without affecting operation.

All that I know first-hand is that my .223 has performed flawlessly as have the others. It's all good.

Bob