Welding stamped recievers....

I see a lot of people welding stamped recievers, but I never hear mention of tempering the metal. Factory recievers are tempered and I would assume that is why rivets are used instead of just welding the rails and trigger guard on at the factory. Can the factory temper be duplicated once a reciver has been welded? Does anyone have any experience with a welded reciever failing? The first S12 I bought has the trigger guard welded on and the weld at the rear of it gave up. I wish it had been riveted or screwed to begin with. There may be a completely logical explanation to all of this, but welding on the reciever seems like bad juju to me. What do you think about welding on a tempered sheetmetal reciever?

The thing that scares me is the massive areas that look like they have been affected by the heat of welding. Tromix seems to do a lot of welding, maybe they can give some insight on the matter.

The top rail and axis pin holes are the only tempering worries. Rivets are used because they draw the pieces tightly together, clamp tighter than screws, and unlike welds they are not prone to stress cracks. The same reasons that airplanes are riveted together.

The top rail and axis pin holes are the only tempering worries. Rivets are used because they draw the pieces tightly together, clamp tighter than screws, and unlike welds they are not prone to stress cracks. The same reasons that airplanes are riveted together.

Makes good sense. Curiousity satisfied.