A tale of 2 Saigas

After getting very tired of having my butt kicked at 3 gun for loading a shotgun too slow I decided to change equipment. I had been of late using a Benelli 20 ga. Super 90 that my boss wanted so I traded him for his Benelli 12 ga. SBE. Prior to messing with Benelli I had been a loyal Remington 1100 fan all of which are great guns with the right shooter, that shooter wasn’t me at 3 gun.

A few years ago a guy showed up to a match with a Saiga but had all kinds of problems not the least of which was not enough mags. Tried a friends 1100 with speed loaders and found I could put 4 shells on the ground at a time real fast and easy. Time and butt kicking went on.

At a later match and the guy with the Saiga was back with mags and a better cycling gun now, got me thinking. I’ve always liked 20 ga. (less recoil means faster shooting, basically at 3 gun your time is your score) so I was going to get me one of the Saiga 20s, then the “what’a mean they don’t have mags for it”. Looked at Frankenmags, too much cost and effort. Moved on and got a Saiga 12, neat gun holds a bucket of shells easy to load, cool.

Still wasn’t happy as I could be started seeing tales of mags to come, still coming right? A friend bought a Saiga 20 and I did some work on it, liked it, and bought a used 20 off Gunbroker, gun ran like a top as delivered, coolness to the extreme. Was going to go all the way up to adding a Cutt’s compensator then just set this one up for 922r compliance, for me if it works don’t monkey with it.

Still believing this has to be the way to go so I bought a 2nd one off Gunbroker to do the whole thing and add the Cutt’s system (got a brand new / never used set of stuff off Gunbroker). A few issues with this one nothing bad just mostly new gun / not broken in. So now I begin the process of making this one the racehorse and having the old reliable 1st one as the mule. Gave some thought to going with a SBS on this but I really don’t think I want to get into “Classes” of weapons at this stage.

Will post photos as the thing moves along .

Edited by going12220

going12220,

Cool. Not many S-20 race guns around. Can't wait to see it...and some high cap mags. ;)

Jack Travers wants to build a line of 20 ga. race guns, I hope to get in his good graces and score some knowledge, help, and parts.

But dude your 12s are out-a-sight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lookin good bro! Yes the new mags look awesome! I have run BJ buffers in all my Saiga shotties for years, no problems. Like you said, it's not a big financial risk for what you get in return. It also comes out in seconds, if you ever do have any issues with it.

About the extra part of the dust cover...I have had one of those actually break once. I recently put a smooth polish job on one of mine to see how that helped further smooth the action. I like it!

:smoke: