S12 Newbie Soon To The Range

OK, so I have a new S12, not broken in, never shot a shotgun before, and am planning a trip to the range.

I sighted it in at home (no shots fired) with a chamber bore sighter. This is strictly a HD or SHTF acquisition, so what do you recommend for my first trip? I have some #8 shot, some #1 buck and some rifled slugs I'd like to try out.

My range options are:

Indoor Range: 0 to 50 yards - standing

Outdoor Range: Pistol side - 15 yd & 25 yd - standing

Rifle side - 25 yd, 50 yd, 100 yd, 200 yd, and beyond - standing or bench rest.

My inclination is to simply see how I do, standing, since it should already be sighted in good enough for a shotgun, and its for HD not target shooting. I'm also thinking for now that I don't need to shoot at 100 yds, and maybe not even 50 yds.

What say yee about my reasoning?

Gratz on the new shotty!

If I were in your spot I'd head for the outdoor range, load up those slugs and see how your aim is at 25 yards.

Make sure your gas plug is on the "1" setting, then try some of that #1 buck.

At that distance you shouldn't have much target left to blast at.

Then once all the high brass is spent, switch your gas setting to "2" and go shoot some clay.

It'll prolly need a bit of breaking in till it runs the cheap birdshot reliably.

But the most important part is to have a good time, I doubt that'll be a problem heh

Gratz on the new shotty!

If I were in your spot I'd head for the outdoor range, load up those slugs and see how your aim is at 25 yards.

Make sure your gas plug is on the "1" setting, then try some of that #1 buck.

At that distance you shouldn't have much target left to blast at.

Then once all the high brass is spent, switch your gas setting to "2" and go shoot some clay.

It'll prolly need a bit of breaking in till it runs the cheap birdshot reliably.

But the most important part is to have a good time, I doubt that'll be a problem heh

I appreciate your input PRISONSHANK. Apparently nobody else out there in Saiga-12 world has an opinion after 54 views. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow may be the day I try it out.