First time at the range, Many questions

Took my tromix out today for the first time. I am not the first owner of this gun so i was praying it was gonna work ok. I have another S12 and a mossberg 500 so i have accumulated many different kinds of shells. I had about 25 different boxes of shells and none were the same. Tooke the gun out and loaded remington 00 buck into the factory five round on setting 1 of course and fired. Ran perfectly. Next i loaded a different mixture of buck and slugs into my agp mag and it too ran flawlessly. After a couple more mag dumps. I decided to shoot some light loads. Switched to setting 2 and fired some remington sport loads. i belive they were 8 shot, and winchester 7 or 8 shot. The remingtons ran about every three before FTE and the winchesters FTE everytime. it was like shooting a bolt action. I ran through the one 20 rd box went back to heavy loads after switching my setting back to 1. The gun ran flawlessly again until i randomly shot another winchester buck and it FTE again. weird but the gun ran perfectly and seems to LOVE good rounds. Which is good because if i were ever gonna use it in a tactical situation i wouldnt be using crappy rounds anyway. Anyone else share my experience?

Couple other questions: Has anyone with Tromix experience ever changed anything or upgraded anything about thier gun? Has anyone ever put the ace ar15 integrated folder on thier gun? Anyone ever changed the puck or switched to the gas fixer? is this neccesary? Also anyone got any tips on a inexpensive red dot that will stand up to the recoil or one that will not? will the burris fast fire 2 stand up?

thanks a lot

i appreciate all the feedback and suggestions

1- are you sure it is a real Tromix converted S12? go to their forum here to learn how to spot the real deal.

2- on their base conversions (restorations), I'm not sure what they do to them to increase reliabilty. I was under the impression that some of their S12s are just conversions and they don't get exstensive 'reliability' treatment (for use of shit ammo, like the winchester stuff). Someone from Tromix that knows for sure, please feel free to educate and correct me.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

1- are you sure it is a real Tromix converted S12? go to their forum here to learn how to spot the real deal.

2- on their base conversions (restorations), I'm not sure what they do to them to increase reliabilty. I was under the impression that some of their S12s are just conversions and they don't get exstensive 'reliability' treatment (for use of shit ammo, like the winchester stuff). Someone from Tromix that knows for sure, please feel free to educate and correct me.

forgot to ask, is it like a s17? on the tromix website, it says that if they do just gas work to a regular s12, it might have problems cycling low brass http://www.tromix.com/saiga.htm tried to copy the section but they have copyright protection on the page

Edited by BROWNEYE

Anyone ever changed the puck or switched to the gas fixer? is this neccesary?

thanks a lot

i appreciate all the feedback and suggestions

You don't need any of that. It sounds like your weapon is undergassed. Both of mine did the same shit. They run now. You need reliability refinement. Lonestar Arms would be a good place to send it to or do it yourself if you have tools and skills. After Mike is done with it.... it will eat anything.... even Winchester Universal bulk pack.

or, if it is a real Tromix, see what they will do for you.

forgot to ask, is it like a s17? on the tromix website, it says that if they do just gas work to a regular s12, it might have problems cycling low brass http://www.tromix.com/saiga.htm tried to copy the section but they have copyright protection on the page

Doesn't look like there is a whole lot of reliability service built into the base price (which is pretty cheap for what you do get). Figure out what you have and report back.