Conversion Problem

I did my pistol grip conversion and everything seemed okay. I'm using a Tapco G2 trigger.

I finally got to shoot it last night and it wouldn't fire two rounds in a row. It would fire, then cycle and chamber a round but the trigger wasn't being reset.

What did I do wrong? This is my first attempt and I hope I didn't screw it up.

Thanks

Almost sounds like the disconnector isn't catching the hammer as it gets knocked back down by the bolt carrier. Is the hammer recocking, or do you have to cycle the bolt carrier to cock the weapon? If this is the case, did you install the disconnector and spring correctly?

This is my first install of a trigger group. I took out the disconnector spring from the original group and put it in.

When I pull on the disconnector it bounces back as if it has a spring in there.

It works fine when I manually operate the bolt.

How can I make sure it is installed correctly?

Thanks for the responses.

One more thing I noticed.

If I push the hammer down after it is cocked it will stick. The trigger feels like the hammer is not even back. I have to pull the disconnector back to get it to be able to fire. When you pull the disconnector back, the hammer pops back to normal position.

Field strip the weapon and operate the hammer with the trigger pulled.  See if the disconnector is catching the hammer as it travels down.

Okay, with trigger pulled the hammer locks on the disconnect. However, when I try to pull the trigger to release, the disconnect does not let go of the hammer. When I pull the bolt back the trigger itself catches the hammer, and that is why it will release.

Not sure how it is supposed to work. I'm guessing the hook on the trigger is not supposed to be the thing that holds the hammer back.

In playing with it I've found that if I push the trigger forward it will release the hammer and hold it by the hook of the trigger.

Hope I'm being clear. I can add detail if needed.

you didnt by some strange mistake get the hammer in BACKWARDS, did you????

It could also be...

Sounds like the surfaces are too rough... or have burrs on them, and need to be polished...

make sure the hammer is PROPERLY in there for one... and then test to see if the hammer or disconnector or both need to be polished, to smooth up the surfaces, so they slide easily on each other...

Without actually *LOOKING* in there myself, its tough to say "you have THIS problem"

Wish I could offer more help to ya...

:smoke:

I looked over the pictures again in Step 7 of the Saiga instructions pictures here http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_7.htm and everything looks okay.

It appears that when I let go of the trigger the disconnector is letting go of the hammer to rest on the trigger hook. I have to physically push the trigger forward.

Is the hook of the trigger supposed to be able to come out of the bottom of the receiver? I think mine contacts receiver bottom not allowing it to go all the way forward. Any chance that has something to do with it?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to avoid sending it off.

Couple of questions:

(1) Single or double hook?

(2) Do you have the leads from the hammer spring that stretch back into the reciever sitting on the back of the trigger group? That is what is supposed to make the trigger move back into position after firing.

I have had to modify my recievers on a couple of rifles to make room for the tapco trigger to have full travel. Both times I at least had to take some metal off where the middle part between the trigger hooks touch the reciever in the front. That is probably all that is wrong. Just make sure when the trigger is pulled that there is no contact between the trigger and reciever that can be seen from outside the weapon. If it hits and does not clear the part of the rec. in front of and between the trigger hooks you need to trim some off the trigger or rec. there.

Couple of questions:

(1) Single or double hook?

(2) Do you have the leads from the hammer spring that stretch back into the reciever sitting on the back of the trigger group?  That is what is supposed to make the trigger move back into position after firing.

It is a single hook.

The leads are on the trigger group. I can't push it down to make it release from the inside of the receiver. I have to push the trigger forward in the trigger guard.

you will need to enlarge the trigger hole in the receiver ever so slightly .... it is hanging up on the receiver... mine did that on the 762...

actually, what *I* did was grind a teeny bit off the CORNER of the trigger itself, so it fit thru... as I am not fond of cutting into the receiver, myself... worked great... took a little off one corner, and it works PERFECTLY now...

:) give that a check-see and see if that will hook you up. :)

:smoke: