Opinion on POSP for 7.62

I know they make a 4x in that style scope with a 400m range finder that doesn't completely suck tailor made for the x39. The difference between 4 and 6x isn't going to make that much difference. The scopes made with 800m+ ranges are for the 54R rifles and would be a better fit on say the S308.

I know they make a 4x in that style scope with a 400m range finder that doesn't completely suck tailor made for the x39. The difference between 4 and 6x isn't going to make that much difference. The scopes made with 800m+ ranges are for the 54R rifles and would be a better fit on say the S308.

Thanks guys for the suggestions and guidance. I went ahead and ordered this one:

POSP 6x42 D w/ Black Finish, Independent Focus and Advanced German Post Rifle Scope, AK Version, GSPOSP642DAKG

From Kalinka Optics. It does have a 400 range scale, and if I read it right, somehow you can change it to the 1000 meter scale as well. Will let you know how it is, once I receive it. I hope Kalinka has ironed out all of their shipping issues...seems I have read a lot of good reviews from them lately. I am still on the fence about my next purchase being a 308...so if I do, then I can put this optic on it, and get a red dot for the 7.62.

Thanks again.

It's a good scope, I have one... also from Kalinka. Showed up in two days.

My only complaint about the independent-focus 6x is it's pretty big. Great for single shots from a benchrest but pretty massive to run around with attached to the gun. It does hold zero pretty well when removed and replaced, though.

My only complaint about the independent-focus 6x is it's pretty big. Great for single shots from a benchrest but pretty massive to run around with attached to the gun. It does hold zero pretty well when removed and replaced, though.

Thanks! Great info. Was hoping it wasn't too big, but oh well. I can see a 308 in my crystal ball... :rolleyes: I am looking forward to receiving it. Thanks again for all of your help.

Thanks! Great info. Was hoping it wasn't too big, but oh well. I can see a 308 in my crystal ball... :rolleyes: I am looking forward to receiving it. Thanks again for all of your help.

Considering the weight of these scopes and the s308 if you do get a 308 get the 16" barrel to save a bit of weight as everything on that rifle is heavier than the x39. If you were going to use irons the 20" would be a bit better. You are going to get a real work out lugging that around since with ammo you are looking at about 15 lbs give or take with a full 20rd mag. Of course that's not taking into consideration extra ammo and mags. Weight is not your friend in the brush.

Considering the weight of these scopes and the s308 if you do get a 308 get the 16" barrel to save a bit of weight as everything on that rifle is heavier than the x39. If you were going to use irons the 20" would be a bit better. You are going to get a real work out lugging that around since with ammo you are looking at about 15 lbs give or take with a full 20rd mag. Of course that's not taking into consideration extra ammo and mags. Weight is not your friend in the brush.

Right. I'm amazed how many people write off a few extra ounces as no big deal. It adds up if you have to carry the rifle a while. I try to keep my rifles as light as possible.

The 4x POSP is a decent bit lighter than the 6x, so that might be something to consider.

Make sure you take some time adjusting the optics rail clamp, it might seem fairly tight when first installed,but trust me they will lose their tightness after a few hundred rounds fired. Mine was lose at the end of this weekends range shoot,really surprised me.

The adjustment is not really hard to do,but will take some getting used to how the device works. :rolleyes:

Right. I'm amazed how many people write off a few extra ounces as no big deal. It adds up if you have to carry the rifle a while. I try to keep my rifles as light as possible.

The 4x POSP is a decent bit lighter than the 6x, so that might be something to consider.

Thanks for the help and guidance. As for weight and going through the brush, I had a BC once that made us hump every week. Twice a month, we would have a Bn. hump. The last 3 miles of each hump was in gas masks. Unfortunately, I was the Heavy Guns (CAAT) Platoon Sergeant at the time. During the Bn humps, we had to carry 3 50's and 3 Mk19's. We eventually made some wheeled carriers for the Mk19's welded up out of golf caddies. During his reign of terror, at one point, half of my Platoon was on light duty, and completely ineffective. He was eventually relieved of command. You are correct, weight is NOT YOUR FRIEND, but I believe (and hope) my 'hit and roll' days are over. I know this sight will be a little big, but I wanted Russian stuff on my rifle to keep it the way it was meant to be (I have gone full circle on that statement and have come to realize IMHO that the way the rifle was designed is the best possible arrangement) and for the robustness of it. A simple Bushnell scope and Bp02(sp?) mount would have been the lightest configuration. But it would have bug fucked the hell out of me. As for mounting it, thank you for your experience's. I have been reading upon this issue and have downloaded the manual. Experience is priceless and I do truly appreciate all of your input. Will post a pic when I get it on my rifle.

I know this sight will be a little big, but I wanted Russian stuff on my rifle to keep it the way it was meant to be (I have gone full circle on that statement and have come to realize IMHO that the way the rifle was designed is the best possible arrangement) and for the robustness of it.

I've come to the same conclusion. I've abandoned plans or sold parts for all sorts of clever mods I had planned, deciding that the rifle is best in a basically stock AK configuration. The one exception I make is the Aimpoint on the Ultimak, which is an awesome mod, thought it does complicate cleaning.

A simple Bushnell scope and Bp02(sp?) mount would have been the lightest configuration. But it would have bug fucked the hell out of me.

I have a PK-AS Russian optic on my SGL, and not only does it look "proper", it looks REALLY cool that way. Alas, although it is proper, and although the PK-AS is really great in concept, I'm not really able to get used to the extreme left offset the way I thought I'd be able to. (The POSP is left offset, but not quite as much). I see another Aimpoint/Ultimak in my future...

Received the Scope yesterday. Great shipping from Kalinka...packaging was somewhat lacking, but safe regardless. For the money I spent, I think they could have included some batteries with it...but wasn't that big of a deal. I am very impressed with this scope. And it isn't nearly as heavy as I thought it was going to be. Is it a little large for my saiga...yeah, a little. But I don't plan on keeping it on all of the time. Again, really impressed with the manufacturing of it...and it is definitely built like a tank. Thanks for the advice on the mounting as well. Read the directions a few times, then mounted it. I can see how it will have to be adjusted after shooting, I think. Mine (the locking handle) has a tab on it, so I guess it needs to be lifted then pushed under to firmly lock it in place. I was somewhat surprised by the offset of it as well. Didn 't really know what ya'll meant, but now I do. But this makes sense as well. I talked myself into repainting my rifle back to black, so once this is done, will take some pics and post it. I also am glad that I am reinstalling the wood again. The Nato length stock I have (K-var) it just too long compared to the wooden stock, especially with using the scope. Next up....Kobra maybe and a .308.

I've come to the same conclusion. I've abandoned plans or sold parts for all sorts of clever mods I had planned, deciding that the rifle is best in a basically stock AK configuration. The one exception I make is the Aimpoint on the Ultimak, which is an awesome mod, thought it does complicate cleaning.

I had just "unpimped" my SGL21, removing the balance destroying quad rail, vertical grip and flashlight. Some mods are really practical and ergonomics enhancing though. I'm definitely keeping my Hogue grip and Krebs Enhanced Safety Lever. The Tromix Bolt-on Charging Handle mod is a good one too. I also have a PK-AS on it. It's balanced very well on the weapon and I have gotten used to its offset. I shoot very well with it.

I also have a PK-AS on it. It's balanced very well on the weapon and I have gotten used to its offset. I shoot very well with it.

I wasn't able to get used to mine. It did weird things to my neck. Plus, the eye relief caused me to see black in the scope too often while on the move.