Conversion parts on the way! Now who...

2 nagging questions I'm wonder about.. I've ordered the trigger components but are extra pins of some type needed or will I be able to re-use the parts that hold it all together. (I need to go get the rifle and look how things are attached) I also ordered the compensator with the press-on adapter but I'm beginning to worry about the install of this one. Haven't located anyone local up to the task and the thought of attempting a "crude" install..well..yikes. I will if I hafta!

Any ideas anyone to the "press-on" adapter install or is a send out job?

Well I goofed!

I received the trigger components and began the conversion BEFORE I fully understood how the retainer pins were installed. Arg! The trigger guard and the 2 rear most pins came out nicely but the 2 larger front pins fooled me. They appeared as if they easily could be tapped out to the left side. I failed to realize they had an oversized function just inside the receiver and I forced them out...with a smidge of frustration. Now I wondering if I have 180.00 of extra parts or if I can still save my project? :unsure:

I agree..a picture is worth a thousand words but currently I am digital-less.

I can't for the life of me fiqure out how else I would have removed the 2 larger pins and still been able to reuse them. I punched them out from left to right but it distorted the holes in the receiver some and I see that this alignment means everything to the trigger operation.

I've been dying to tap them back in and see how well it works but I don't dare til I get my stock and pistol grip in the mail. If anyone can..please post pics of how one SHOULD have remove them properly.

For clarity: 4 pins total in the original Saiga trigger setup. I'm asking about the larger 2. I assume I won't need the rear ones when converting to a PG confiquration.

Edited by NedPepper

Here are a couple of pics to help you and others after you:

Saiga223_disassembly8.jpg

and

Saiga223_disassembly9.jpg

The hammer pin and new trigger pin are held in place by a rather strong retension spring which sit down in a machined lip on the left hand side of the pins. You must remove the spring before you can drift the pins out. In order to remove the spring, you must remove the sporter trigger and transfer bar parts. This can only be done by taking the two pins out at the rear of the receiver.

HTH.

• 2 weeks later...

I have in the past removed the front sight assembly and cut off that sleeve which covers the muzzle of the barrel. Then replace the sight assembly and thread the barrel so I could use a threaded brake. It must be silver soldered or welded to be legal.

I don't remember the thread size off hand. And I recommend never removing the front sight at home. It is rediculiously difficult and I'd rather just pay someone.

But that's one method of adding a brake.