My new (to me) MAK had at one point been restored to its original AK config (Pistol grip and Butt stock). They were imported with a one piece thomb hole stock. It also has what seems to be a Vortex or a Vortex knockoff break that has been pinned on. The handguards look to be original Chinese. The FCG is original. There are no markings on the PG, Stock, or the break.

ORIGINAL:

HG

FCG

UNKNOWN:

Break

Stock

PG

Assuming the break is removed is it 922 legit? Or do I have to start replacing.

If it is indeed a US brake, then removing it will not help towards 922R. It is the count of foreign parts that matter, they need to be kept at 10 or less. Here's a link that explains it pretty well:

http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Swapping out the FCG is easy and counts as three parts. If you want to use imported mags (which count as 3 parts themselves) this is the typical way to balance it out. You really want to get the parts count on the rifle itself at or below 7, if possible, so mags don't become an issue.

Putting in a new gas piston is another easy and cheap way to swap out one part. Furniture is the other.

If you didn't do the conversion then you are not liable for 922R, as the rifle was sold to you that way. It's the converter (manufacturer) who is on the hook legally. I'm not saying you shouldn't be aware of it, and make it compliant anyway. But the original MAK trigger is pretty nice and I'd probably leave it as is.

Edited by rob-cubed