Offset scope mounts.

Hey guys and gals.

I have a new side mount scope base for my 223 Saiga. It looks like it is visibly about 3/16 to 1/4" offset to the left when looking at it. I'm worried that I won't have enough windage adjustment to compensate.

offset.jpg

Having not had any experience with offset scope mounts before, I thought I'd see what people have to say. Looking through the scope, the dot is above and left of the front sight.

Thanks

Corbin

*edit* I found out the side rail might just be off. I'm not sure though. If I can't get this setup to work for me, I'll probably just sell the mount, as it's never even been fired yet.

Edited by Corbin

Hey guys and gals.

I have a new side mount scope base for my 223 Saiga. It looks like it is visibly about 3/16 to 1/4" offset to the left when looking at it. I'm worried that I won't have enough windage adjustment to compensate.

offset.jpg

Having not had any experience with offset scope mounts before, I thought I'd see what people have to say. Looking through the scope, the dot is above and left of the front sight.

Thanks

Corbin

*edit* I found out the side rail might just be off. I'm not sure though. If I can't get this setup to work for me, I'll probably just sell the mount, as it's never even been fired yet.

What I would do is get a boresighter and see if you can adjust the scope enough to get the two dots to line up. You'll also want to make sure you get a couple clicks in each direction for range adjustments in the future.

If you do decide to sell the mount, Carolina Shooters Supply has a quick-detach mount that I hear is excellent.

Edited by FatalSylence

I wouldn't worry about it. Pretty much all these mounts are a bit offset. Just live with it; it makes little practical difference.

P.S. Why not another Ultimak-mounted dot sight? I really don't have use for anything else anymore. The side mount has too many drawbacks.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I have the UTG 978 side mount (Quick-Detach) and its off by about 1/8". Plenty of side to side adjustment on mine.

Look at it from the front of the rifle and look back at the 'rear' site leaf 'center' to the base of the scope rings 'center'.

It may not be off 1/4" but alot less. Mines off about 1/8" or so..

Most Red Dots are 1/4 turn clicks so 2-3 clicks would center you up...

Try a boresiter or just get paper and shoot 25 yards on a BAG rest. It took me 3 shots to get adjusted with my Bushy RD.

P.S. Why not another Ultimak-mounted dot sight? I really don't have use for anything else anymore. The side mount has too many drawbacks.

Well, this is just my opinion, but I prefer the side rail mount. I like the optics closer to my body (weight distribution), closer to my head (faster and more efficient IMHO), I like the look better, and it just feels good not letting that scope rail on the Saiga go to waste. Maybe I am wrong or uninformed, but it's just what works for me. Besides the co-witness issue, I don't see too many drawbacks to a side mount.

However, the co-witness issue can be a very, very big issue in a lot of circumstances. I do fully realize that.

Edited by FatalSylence

Well, this is just my opinion, but I prefer the side rail mount. I like the optics closer to my body (weight distribution), closer to my head (faster and more efficient IMHO), I like the look better, and it just feels good not letting that scope rail on the Saiga go to waste. Maybe I am wrong or uninformed, but it's just what works for me. Besides the co-witness issue, I don't see too many drawbacks to a side mount.

Height over bore, weight, extra bulk, snags on things, does not hold as precise a zero. But the weight is the biggest issue. It is very difficult to come in under a pound with the side mount + optic combination. With an Ultimak and Aimpoint Micro (or Micro clone), you are adding less than 6 ounces. It may unbalance the rifle a bit, but I don't see that as a big issue.

just zero it to hit 1/4 inch to the side that the scope sits on, get your elevation right, and remember its 1/4 to the side....

kinda like a crimson trace grip for a pistol, dont make the dot sit where the bullet hits at a certain distance, so it aims strait and your bullet hits like 1/2 inch over and ~1 inch up....so it will stay right and your bullet wont cross it at some point and go to the other side of the dot

I love my Ultimak on my Draco. The Aimpoint is light and quick.

The side mounted red dot is a 2x and has 3 dots for various ranges. Should help for range a little. That was the plan anyway. Being on a QD side mount, I figured it could be removed fast enough without tools.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update:

I finally got out to a range and shot it. There was no noticable difference from the scope if it was offset. I only shot 20 rounds through it, and had it dialed in within 4 shots. It's a nice setup, though a bit heavy compared to my Ultimak/Aimpoint combo.

By the way, I measured how offset it is, and it's just under 1/8", not as much as I thought it was.

After considering it for a bit, I think I'm going to just sell the scope and side mount and go with my initial plan to Ultimak and Aimpoint it, like I did on my Draco. There's nothing wrong with this scope and mount, but I really like the Ultimak/Microdot combo.

So, if anyone is interested.......HERE is the link to them.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin