Ammo type and gas setting

Hi,

I recently bought a Saiga 12, and was wondering what ammo was reserved for settings 1 and 2? I know 1 is for "heavy" ammo, but I don't really know what that means. I plan to go shoot on Saturday for the first time, and I bought some Winchester Super Speed Xtra Gameloads, Winchester Super Lead Shot High Brass Game Loads, and some military shells. I didnt know if these were considered heavy for setting 1 or light for setting 2. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

As everyone will tell you with any type of ammo in your Saiga always always start on 1 first and if it does not cycle after a few tries go to 2. Eventually you will figure out what shoots on each setting. Hope this helps.

Edited by Rangerguy

Hi,

I recently bought a Saiga 12, and was wondering what ammo was reserved for settings 1 and 2? I know 1 is for "heavy" ammo, but I don't really know what that means. I plan to go shoot on Saturday for the first time, and I bought some Winchester Super Speed Xtra Gameloads, Winchester Super Lead Shot High Brass Game Loads, and some military shells. I didnt know if these were considered heavy for setting 1 or light for setting 2. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Setting one is generally for "high brass" or more powerful loads. Setting two is generally for lighter "low brass" less powerful loads.

To determine how powerful a load may be check the stated muzzle velocity on the box. Generally speaking a load with a muzzle velocity of say 1,180 FPS will be less powerful than a load with a muzzle velocity of 1,350 FPS.

The higher the stated muzzle velocity, the more powerful the load is likely to be.