I've seen a few nickle plated 7.62 Saiga's around, and I think with the wood furniture it looks absolutely spectacular. I wouldn't mind doing that to mine when I convert it, but what's the cost associated with nickle plating, and what do you guys think of the concept altogether?

Yeah, I don't care much for the reflectiveness of chrome. Reminds of cheap plastic swords that scratch when you smack them together. The nickle just looks extremely rugged and more fitting. Don't want my AK looking like a low-rider Escalade with spinning rims, hahahaha.

I had my Keltec 9MM slide hard nickle plated by a smith as rust preventive measure. Very happy with it and it was a reasonable price. It was explained to me that chrome will rust, but nickle will not.

Be safe,

Yakdung

Chrome can rust if oils from your hands are on it for to long. it will cut through to the base metals. We had chrome rims on our bikes and we would always clean them with Mr Clean (ammonia based). They would shine so well, it would make a low rider jealous.

Keith also told me that scuffs & scratches on nickel will be less noticeable. I have considered getting my bolt carrier refinished and also the metal parts of my SA XD40 SC refinished as well.

Chrome can rust if oils from your hands are on it for to long. it will cut through to the base metals. We had chrome rims on our bikes and we would always clean them with Mr Clean (ammonia based). They would shine so well, it would make a low rider jealous.

Keith also told me that scuffs & scratches on nickel will be less noticeable. I have considered getting my bolt carrier refinished and also the metal parts of my SA XD40 SC refinished as well.

Bingo, nickle plating seems more rugged and able to withstand the elements if need-be. With chrome, you'll spend more time polishing it up and keeping it rust free than actually firing your weapon.

@GremM1: Forgot to multi-quote. Do you recall what you paid for having it plated?

Nickel plating isn't so rugged. I've got a nickel plated Python with rust outlining one cylinder flute. It was caused by a blueprint being thrown carelessly into the gunsafe on top of the Python. As I recall, it was only there a few months through the summer.

I about cry every time I look at it.

Bob