need help ASAP with conversion...doing it now..

HELP! I'm in the middle of my first conversion right this minute. Its a 7.62 x39.

The CSS video shows that you must put tension on the hammer spring before putting it in the gun by folding the whole thing under, then zip tying it.

is this needed with the stock spring?

or just the reduced power spring he is using in the video?

When I try it, with the stock russian twisted spring, the spring is under SO much tension, it distorts the coils all out of whack and are coming off the hammer...

.I have never seen anyone else mention the tension in any other conversion video or write up....

I dont want to screw this up, and am at a total stop until someone answers this...and i only have computer access today for another hour...HELP!

I'm have a little trouble understanding what you're asking but from what I can get from it the answer you're looking for is yes. The CSS reduced hammer spring would install no differently from the stock spring.

As for the coils coming off the hammer try to squish the coils together more.

What I am referring to is, on the CSS video, before he twist ties the legs, he completely rotates the hammer under the spring and back up again to place a lot of prelaoded pressure on the spring, then twist ties it. This is not shown anywhere else. i know about using a twist tie to just hold the ends out of the way, but this puts a LOT of preload on the spring. I think it is only for the non-twisted reduced power spring, cause it sure doesnt look or feel right when I do that, and its not in the vimeo or any other videop except the CSS reduced spring video..im gonna proceed now, hope it works...

thanks, all..

(if you want to see what i'm referring to, go to the CSS site, and watch the 3rd video down...)

Check the 1st video for FCG install.. about 3 mins in..

But, yes the reduced power and factory goes on the same. (Video 3)

Make sure it hand functions. First time around I had the spring backwards and it only fired when I pushed the trigger forward..

What I am referring to is, on the CSS video, before he twist ties the legs, he completely rotates the hammer under the spring and back up again to place a lot of prelaoded pressure on the spring,

I just watched up to 1:40 and he twisted the hammer spring around the proper amount. You need a fair amount of hammer spring tension, so that's right. You won't break it the Russian AK breaks you

What I am referring to is, on the CSS video, before he twist ties the legs, he completely rotates the hammer under the spring and back up again to place a lot of prelaoded pressure on the spring,

I just watched up to 1:40 and he twisted the hammer spring around the proper amount. You need a fair amount of hammer spring tension, so that's right. You won't break it the Russian AK breaks you

Ive tried and tried to get that much tension on the spring, I cant do it. the spring will barely come around again, and distorts so much all the coils come off, and it almost permanently bends the coils out.

so, Ive just put enough tension to get the ends to tie back, as in the vimeo and shiek videos, before I put in the plate, you are saying it wont ahve enough tension if i finish it this way? I only ahve 5 minutes of computer time...

Just checked the trigger function before I put in the retaining plate, and it works fine. i must have it right. I'm gonna put in the retaining plate and close it up now.

thanks, All, i was worried there for a few...

How'd it go??

Got any PICS for us yet??

Al

came out fine...even found threads under the shroud....Thanks! ( still need to paint my Cali mag lock)

heres a pic of conversion, I'll post the pix of threads in the appropriate thread..gallery_22253_427_8761.jpg

Edited by icefire
  • 4 weeks later...

finished except for FH install....and thats done now, too...looking good...

Thanks, all for the help during the install, I couldnt figure out that just tying the ends back puts enough tension on the spring. It looked like the CSS video was putting one whole additional rotation on the hammer spring, and believe me, if you do that, it's under a hellacious amount of tension...

gallery_22253_427_22274.jpg