Vailfanatic90,

Its good to hear from another defender of he alamo!

1. What part of town are you in. I assume if Dons which I blieve is at the crossroads mall is to far give me a starting point. I have purchased several guns from The Powderhorn at us90 and loop 410 north, 4 S'12, 3 7.62's and many other rifles. Still waiting for the free cussie for repeat business, but they have all treated me with respect and I've had good experence with them. Don of Dons Guns I enjoy and have done some business with him. On the South side Drurys at 819 Hot Wells has had a great repution for years how ever I have not done any business with them. Latley I have been doing business with Brad at Selph Arms (A bussiness member here) located in Buda Texas

It all depends on what your looking for and the work you wont done. I have not been back to the Powderhrn lately simply because his prices on his Saigas went up but whin I was there last a few hundred dollars were higher then I could get them off the internt, however themay have come back in line with the markert price as said I have always had a good relationship with them.

Brad at Selph Arms I met with recently and on a hand shake and not much more came to a mutualy satisfactory arrangement. He is a good gunsmith and knowledgeble of his tradeand I can not wait to see his craftsmanshif/art for myself

There are several good gunsmiths in san antonio. If I dont' kown of them I can lead you in the right direction.

I a'm going to PM you my numbers I a'm simi-retired and would be glad to assist in your quest to the best of my ability but will need a little more info toget you there.

Best of luck

AlJacks

Vailfanatic90,

Its good to hear from another defender of he alamo!

1. What part of town are you in. I assume if Dons which I blieve is at the crossroads mall is to far give me a starting point. I have purchased several guns from The Powderhorn at us90 and loop 410 north, 4 S'12, 3 7.62's and many other rifles. Still waiting for the free cussie for repeat business, but they have all treated me with respect and I've had good experence with them. Don of Dons Guns I enjoy and have done some business with him. On the South side Drurys at 819 Hot Wells has had a great repution for years how ever I have not done any business with them. Latley I have been doing business with Brad at Selph Arms (A bussiness member here) located in Buda Texas

It all depends on what your looking for and the work you wont done. I have not been back to the Powderhrn lately simply because his prices on his Saigas went up but whin I was there last a few hundred dollars were higher then I could get them off the internt, however themay have come back in line with the markert price as said I have always had a good relationship with them.

Brad at Selph Arms I met with recently and on a hand shake and not much more came to a mutualy satisfactory arrangement. He is a good gunsmith and knowledgeble of his tradeand I can not wait to see his craftsmanshif/art for myself

There are several good gunsmiths in san antonio. If I dont' kown of them I can lead you in the right direction.

I a'm going to PM you my numbers I a'm simi-retired and would be glad to assist in your quest to the best of my ability but will need a little more info toget you there.

Best of luck

AlJacks

Hey Al!

I actually purchased my Saiga from the Powderhorn about two and a half weeks ago, only to find that the price was reduced by $50 last friday. I joked about getting a free mag or some kind of store credit and was told it was up to the manager who wasn't in at the moment. After thirty minutes of waiting to be helped, I was ignored instead and another customer who hadn't been in nearly as long was getting helped instead. It was unfortunate because I was hoping to establish a relationship with them. I do have to agree that all of their employees were relatively friendly, except for one who ninja'd my purchase from the employee I usually do business there with. He insisted on throwing the book (figuratively speaking) at my dad who was there with me just to browse for asking a simple question about payment. After the event of being ignored on Friday was when I decided to check out Don's guns and found a smaller selection, but a much friendlier environment. They even had a Saiga .308 and a wasr-10 each for over $100 less than what the Powderhorn was asking for them. I will check out Hot Wells like you said, and hopefully get to meet Brad when I travel to Buda some time, mainly to go to the Cabela's there. We're in the second largest city in this State! Where are all the gun stores?!! I've heard about GT Distributors up in Austin, but I don't know anyone who's been there.

Edited by VaiFanatic90

I have pretty well given up on gun shops here in San Antonio. Find it on the net and ship it to an FFL-01. I feel so strongly about it that I am looking into getting my FFL-01 so I can do transfers. I have had bad experiences at Nagels, Ho's, The Powerhorn and The Bullethole. New shops crop up every now and then, but no one stocks much of anything. I go to the Gun show to handle and buy online.

Very frustrating. . .

Yeah, Nagels had the selection, but the prices and that staff were horrible!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes at how they were just dry firing these old WWII guns! I understand that some say modern weapons can be dry fired and blah blah blah, but it still hurts me to my soul to see it occur.

I have had the best luck at the local guns show on Marbach Rd through SAXET . Also look up local FFL holders and pay $25 over the wholesale price .

I'm goint to the Saxet this weekend! Hoping for a few good deals.

Vafantic90,

That pretty much sums up San Antonio gun shops, good, bad, and ugly are pretty all are pretty much right on. For me its the internet or Pawn shops.

Ax-Man, good to see your still around, I still have those Dies and tap if still want to do your rifles.

Good Luck to all.

AllJacks

I contend that we as gun owners and gun businesses have no one but ourselves to blame here. It is said that the christian church is the only "army" that shoots it's wounded, but I believe that we do it to ourselves all the time. Obama creates a gun scare and prices double and triple over night. Gun stores treat potential customers like crap, being arrogant jerks and we wonder why we can't get support outside our own community. . .

I'm sorry as this is probably the wrong place for this, but I find it frustrating. Yet another reason why I want to get my FFL-01 and do things myself. . .

JG

I contend that we as gun owners and gun businesses have no one but ourselves to blame here. It is said that the christian church is the only "army" that shoots it's wounded, but I believe that we do it to ourselves all the time. Obama creates a gun scare and prices double and triple over night. Gun stores treat potential customers like crap, being arrogant jerks and we wonder why we can't get support outside our own community. . .

I'm sorry as this is probably the wrong place for this, but I find it frustrating. Yet another reason why I want to get my FFL-01 and do things myself. . .

JG

Not the wrong place at all. I welcome your opinion because I feel the exact same way. I'm tired of getting the third degree here.