MD-20 Drum Help

Hello, been lurking here for a while now. bought my first Saiga-12 a couple months ago and luvs it. just got my drum this afternoon when my neighbor brought it over "UPS likes to leave my stuff at his house for some reason" if this is in the wrong forum please move it but i didnt know where would be more proper, my problem is I have done the fitting as advised and the tower now sits nearly flush with the magwell and i have shaved off some of the b side but it still wont lock in and there is a sufficient amount of materiel gone to make me hesitant about taking any more off because i really dont want to screw this thing up. So I guess my question is should i go ahead and try shaving more off until it does fit or what, and how much is too much offpost-24997-058419900 1277866901_thumb.jpgpost-24997-054963500 1277866906_thumb.jpg

I would take a flashlight and look where its hanging up. I tried to take minimum off of B and more off of A as instructed, but I ended up having to come back to B more than I wanted to.Keep going at it slowly. Take your time and work slowly till you get it to snap in. Mine fits pretty damn tight.

Yyeesss!! (Insert little girl squeal here) OK after taking a off hairs breadth more and pulling lightly on the mag release it finally locked in, guess I should have tried that before, oh well about time I introduced myself anyhow. I cant hardly wait till the morning to go shoot it, I would go tonight but I think my neighbors might call issue with that. Thanks Garz and Mike for a sweet ass drum.

OK, so range report. I loaded up all 20 shells into the drum, those edges are sharp if you aint paying attention. take it out to my back yard and with the stock on my hip , pull back and lock the bolt to load it, once in it make a barely audible click letting me know its in so i shoulder the gun and reach forward with my right hand and give the charging hand a good yank, Nothing, the bolt wont go into battery. Well shit, i yank it a couple more times but still nothing so i start to think maybe the drum isn't letting it close so i take it out and yank on the charging handle a couple more times, still wont. then i look at the bolt hold open and notice that it has pulled itself into the receiver out of reach. now i am royally pissed cause i dont have any idea how i am going to fix this. after about an hour fussing and banging the stock on a wooden post i take a metal close hanger slide it in under the bolt real gentle like, wiggle it around and down pops the lever, a light tap on the buttstock while holding the bolt back and it slams forward into battery. but now i am more concerned with this happening again so i disassemble and remove that irritating little sucker, it wasnt originally designed for that anyway right?. After reassembly back out i go and finally get to shoot... 5 shells before one of my dads friends shows up and he tells me to stow it for the day, ah well it didnt like ejecting those wally world bulk loads anyway. so now i get to wait until finances pick up again to iron out its reliability issues, it loves buck and slugs, just those light target loads wont work it.

Darkeye;

You may want to add a washer the thickness of the BHO to the BHO side of the hammer so it keeps in the correct possision.

Also realize that without the BHO, you'll only be able to load the drum with 19 rounds in it, as it's too full to fit in with 20 rounds & a closed bolt.

As for sharp edges, you can smooth those down just a touch.

As for your BHO issue, the spring fell off. This is common. I notched the area on the BHO where the spring seats with a dremmel cutoff disk like this:

BHOnotch2-1-1.jpg

Then it helps to shave off some of the button on the bottom so you don't accidentally hit it while firing. (If you're converted)

With your Low-brass issues, keep in mind, a few cycles will smooth the drum up.

Also in my experience I've found that with a polished & profiled bolt & carrier, there is no need for spring adjustment between high & low brass.

The Winchester super-x .00 buck $11.00 15 pack stuff fires great from the drums & is cheap for .00 buck. When you get the friction out of your gun you may find it handles the lower powered rounds better too.

(if your ports are correct)

Good Luck! :up:

• Like 1

Yeah, I went into this knowing I'd probably have to mod the heck outta it, that was one of the parts I was looking forward too actually, had the time of my life building my AR, but life has a way of making you change your plans, the money I had allotted for fixing her up got spent on bills and gas. Ah the life of an college student.

And I know I wont be able to load a full drum on a closed bolt, can barely load anything on a closed bolt now as I haven't yet figured out THAT trick, probably just going to put one of those safety lever hold opens on, the one it had always felt awkward to me, think I'll like that better anyhow.

I have only gotten to shoot about 50 rounds through it, mostly 7 1/2 shot, some slugs and 5 Remington nitro magnum buckshot...Ouch Those little SOB's hurt.

I don't think it was the drum causing my ejection issues but I don't really know. I checked the gas holes with a bent ink cartridge refill needle (no paperclips handy) and found all three, the needle wiggled fairly loose so i don't think i will need to bore them out any, New gas plug, gas puck and polishing the BCG and rails and I should be GTG.

After I get it running reliably the I get to convert it, Until then my Mossy 500 will remain my bedside guardian

Also has anybody had issues with their original factory magazines steel lip clip (I Guess that's what its called) popping off, Half the time when i take it out the clip flies off and if there were any shells in it they spray everywhere.

Edited by Darkeye1373

Yeah, I went into this knowing I'd probably have to mod the heck outta it, that was one of the parts I was looking forward too actually, had the time of my life building my AR, but life has a way of making you change your plans, the money I had allotted for fixing her up got spent on bills and gas. Ah the life of an college student.

And I know I wont be able to load a full drum on a closed bolt, can barely load anything on a closed bolt now as I haven't yet figured out THAT trick, probably just going to put one of those safety lever hold opens on, the one it had always felt awkward to me, think I'll like that better anyhow.

I have only gotten to shoot about 50 rounds through it, mostly 7 1/2 shot, some slugs and 5 Remington nitro magnum buckshot...Ouch Those little SOB's hurt.

I don't think it was the drum causing my ejection issues but I don't really know. I checked the gas holes with a bent ink cartridge refill needle (no paperclips handy) and found all three, the needle wiggled fairly loose so i don't think i will need to bore them out any, New gas plug, gas puck and polishing the BCG and rails and I should be GTG.

After I get it running reliably the I get to convert it, Until then my Mossy 500 will remain my bedside guardian

Also has anybody had issues with their original factory magazines steel lip clip (I Guess that's what its called) popping off, Half the time when i take it out the clip flies off and if there were any shells in it they spray everywhere.

We're calling the steel clip the feed lips. None of mine have ever fallen off. You may want to squeeze it to make it hold onto the tabs that it's supposed to better.

The safety lever BHO is kinda foolproof. Good deal.

If you get curious about port size, pick up a cheap set of calipers or a micrometer & try this procedure.

Thanks NinerRider. Great addition to the forum. :up:

Also try this to help you load on a closed bolt & smoothen up stuff for the lower brass weaker loads.

ETA;

If you're uncomfortable profiling, read the whole thread, we have business members that will do it up just right for you.

Edited by Paulyski

Thanks for all the help Paulyski, My dad owns a car shop so I should should be golden on the tools. As for the profiling, I'm gonna take it one step at a time and see how comfortable I am with things before going all gung-ho with the power tools, I'd like to be able to say I did it all myself but the thought of Fubaring it makes me a little hesitant, so if worst comes to worst I'll send it to one of the pros here before butchering it

Edited by Darkeye1373