6.5x284 Savage F-Class

NCSTAR 6-24x50

Hodgdon H4831SC 45grains

Berger 264140V 140grain

CCI br-2 lg primers

Cant find seating specs. Around 2780 fps. 49grains got close to 2900fps, and were way high at 575yds. I think I'll stay around the 45 to 47grain fot this range. I'll work up a stouter load for the 1k yard shoot.

My best 5 shot group at 575yds. :super: 2.568in

7-4-2010001.jpg

• 1 month later...

I would seat the bullets long... mark them with a black marker... chamber them, and see how much rifling they contact... than back off the length until they are just a few thousandths off the rifling... Thats what I would do... and have done with my Savage F/TR .308. :up:

The thing is some bullets may not contact the rifling no matter how long you try to seat them... so its kinda trial and error depending on the brand and weight of the bullet. In the .243 I have some Nosler "custom competition" HP bullets that have a very long and shallow ogive... compared to Sierra "match king" HP rounds that are more "short and stubby" in comparison, but have the same weight! They DO NOT seat to the same COL!!

:smoke:

I would seat the bullets long... mark them with a black marker... chamber them, and see how much rifling they contact... than back off the length until they are just a few thousandths off the rifling... Thats what I would do... and have done with my Savage F/TR .308. :up:

The thing is some bullets may not contact the rifling no matter how long you try to seat them... so its kinda trial and error depending on the brand and weight of the bullet. In the .243 I have some Nosler "custom competition" HP bullets that have a very long and shallow ogive... compared to Sierra "match king" HP rounds that are more "short and stubby" in comparison, but have the same weight! They DO NOT seat to the same COL!!

:smoke:

Thank's for the tip Indy. I played with the depth about an hour on the Berger's. Then lost my measurement's. :cryss: I have enough for one box, then I'll move on to the AMAX. Will have to adjust those I think. Luckily I didnt remove my die's, so I am still good with the depth on the Berger's.

I am going to up the measure to 49gn for this shoot. Hell, I'll be happy if I hit the tgt! :super:

How are you shooting? Benched? How steady are you holding the rifle? Any little movement can cause the round to deviate from it's trajectory..... Concentrate on your breathing before you squeeze the trigger, make sure you squeeze the trigger straight back and don't pull or jerk it. When looking through a scope make sure that both eyes are open, this puts less strain on your eyes. When addressing the rifle make sure that it is snug against your shoulder.

I hope this helps....