I ordered an SGL21-61 on 7/8, Thursday, and picked it up on 7/9, Friday, yesterday. I got it through galleryofguns.com for $695.20 out the door. There are no hidden charges, it is quick, and they have about a ba-zillion guns available. What they don't have yet are the Saiga shotguns. But, I just heard that Suarez Int'l has made a video on the S-12, so that might increase its popularity enough to put it in the running for one of Davidson's new products. That's my shameless plug for Davidson's galleryofguns.com website. My question. I have an IOI and M70AB1, but this is my first Saiga. I didn't know the bolt and carrier came painted black. Should I leave everything as is with the bolt and carrier painted? It won't burn and flake off and look crappy after a while? Is this peculiar to this model or brand?

Thanks in advance -

post-25613-008534800 1278784384_thumb.jpg

post-25613-027267800 1278784458_thumb.jpg

As far as I know almost all stamped receiver AK's built in most countries have the carriers darkened. I believe the soviets only left the very early ones bare metal.

Great looking rifle.

I have some Saigas that had the carrier bead blasted and I've got a couple that haven't. The black doesn't chip or flake off. Over time, you might get a wear line directly behind the charging handle on the carrier. That's about it.

Corbin

I ordered an SGL21-61 on 7/8, Thursday, and picked it up on 7/9, Friday, yesterday. I got it through galleryofguns.com for $695.20 out the door. There are no hidden charges, it is quick, and they have about a ba-zillion guns available. What they don't have yet are the Saiga shotguns. But, I just heard that Suarez Int'l has made a video on the S-12, so that might increase its popularity enough to put it in the running for one of Davidson's new products. That's my shameless plug for Davidson's galleryofguns.com website. My question. I have an IOI and M70AB1, but this is my first Saiga. I didn't know the bolt and carrier came painted black. Should I leave everything as is with the bolt and carrier painted? It won't burn and flake off and look crappy after a while? Is this peculiar to this model or brand?

Thanks in advance -

Leave it as is. Arsenals finish will come off in no time without you doing anything... :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

• Like 1

do what looks better to you..

on my black guns I like to avoid shiny chrome parts.. plus black hides dirt

My buddy is the opposite, do what makes you happy.

Unless your going resale- then do what makes everyone else happy (Leave it black)

If you spray it with birchwood casey's gun scrubber or whatever its called it will remove some of the "darkening" on the bolt carrier. I would avoid using any real harsh solvents or you will see it start to lighten considerably. Solvents like hoppes don't seem to affect it at all. It could have been that mine wasn't finished as well, but that was my experience so be warned.